CHAPTER 3

Hayat POV:

2 deaths, one which I could attend and one which I couldn’t. One in which I had no sense of who died and another whom I knew dearly but couldn’t attend the funeral.....
The destiny has always been cruel to me. The mother who gave birth to me died after I came to the world, and the mother I got loved me, but everyone always felt jealous of our bond....
The person I met online and felt the loved from died when I was locked in my own house by my own father, the person I met and loved... I couldn’t even see for the last time....
I will never forget how much pain my father has given me, but he’s my father. I can’t just hate him, I would be a bad daughter if I hate him, right? There were only some important people I loved and trusted, and one of them had already left me to go to heaven.....
Going towards my bed in my chachu place, I lay there on the cold bed, feeling no emotions but physically drained....
The sun has already started to come up to make the world bright and warm, and the sunlight was peaking through the window telling me about how a new day has started, new memories we are going to make.....

I wish to never make memories with anyone because the memories last longer than the person we know, and that hurts more than anything, tiredness and exhaustion from last night started to make my eyes heavy, feeling a gentle pat on my head I move towards the comfort not knowing who they person is, but still knowing its someone who knows me more than myself, I slept.....

“Beta uth jao na, dheko zuhr ka time ho chuka haa, ao mere sath namaz phar lo, meri jaan, uth jao chanda (come on, wake up, dear. Look, it’s already past Zuhr time. Come, pray with me, my love. Wake up, Chanda.) The pat on my hand and voice started to make me woken up, the sentence started to make sense, I finally sat on my bed after having some sleep, clinging to my chachi for a while, I sat there with her, as she continued to caress my head...

“Chachi ma uth gayi hon, ap chaly ma ati ho wadu kr ka (Auntie, I’m awake. You go ahead, I’ll come after performing ablution.) I said, standing up from my bed, making my way towards washroom. Coming to the lounge, I saw my chachi waiting for me. Going towards her, I did a small nod and started praying with her.....

I have been a bad Muslim, knowing very well about my responsibility as a Muslim I still did not act upon them, knowing very well I need to pray I don’t .... knowing very well I need to recite Quran I don’t .... knowing very well as a lady I need to cover up myself properly I don’t .... I run away from my responsibilities and I always feel guilty about it, still I’m running towards the wrong direction....

After praying, my chachi made me eat biryani which she cooked herself for me and told me to go to my room, that I did, but knowing very well, I’ll just get ready to go out, roaming on the streets of Karachi in my favourite SUV car, I’ll eat and play with kids....

It’s was already 3 pm when I reached the famous food street of Karachi, Hussainabad. I ate some of our favourite food and missed my best friend. Having fun there eating the food we loved together was one of the most everlasting memories I had....
I remembered.... “hazel, do you think I should wear this pink dress or the lilac colour dress, which one will suit me the most” my best friend said as she came towards me, “you know you look beautiful in every piece of clothing,  right?” I questioned, folding my hands, looking at her from top to bottom, knowing her reaction, which I got really fast, I laughed as she said, “don’t you flirt here, Missy, I’m serious, tell me naa, I need to get ready for our bookstore date” I looked at her shocked, I forget our date... “You forgot right missy!” Said my best friend, all sadden now, “oh, I’m sorry, you know how my dumb brain works right...let’s just go to our date and then we go to our favourite food street, my treat” I said hugging her, “okay done, wait I’m coming” said my best friend as she excitingly ran towards the changing room....
The memories sometimes haunt you, sometimes it makes you cry, sometimes it makes you happy, and sometimes....you just wish to forget them knowing it hurts more than you ever imagined...
Listening to some songs, going towards Seaview to gaze at the sea, which once was our favourite place to roam around, parking my car at the side, I walked towards the sandy beach while having my black boots in my hand, the wind caress my face reminding me how lonely I’m, at this beautiful beach watching the sun setting down, I went forward and sit on the side a little far for the water, not wanting to get my pants wet, watching the people going here and there, giggling and eating I felt a little tug on my jacket, I turned towards my right and saw two little twins, “kiya ap candy lena chahey gi appi (would you some candy sister)” one of the kids asked and one forward the her hand towards me with the candies, “thank you little angels, who are you here with babies?” I asked politely. “we came with mama, she is taking us home now and told us to distribute the candies” the one holding the candies said to me “okay then let’s go to mama” I said and stand up from the beach and walked with the babies towards a lady who was talking on the phone while looking a little tensed, “hello miss” I said “hello to you too miss” she replied, she had a little bag on her right hand and some bags on her left hand which had some juice and chips, she was in abbaya that looked so beautiful on her, I cleared my throat and looked at her “You have beautiful kids, Masha Allah” I said with a smile “ thank you miss.”
After having a little conversation with her I made my way towards my car I hear some gaps from behind me and some people around my car, I excused from the people who were around my car and opened the gate for myself to get in when I heard someone calling me “hey, excuse me miss, can I ask if you are from here?” A boy who looked tall enough to tower me asked, I confidently said “No” and took my seat in the car, when I found him again on my side window, “what is wrong with you?” I asked, annoyed from all the attention my car is getting, it was making me uncomfortable, people around my car was taking it’s pictures and that wasn’t bad but still it was uncomfortable, “sorry to disturb you, miss, but would you like to join our club, we race here only on weekends nights with all modified cars and bikes, we fun here, if you want you can join us” the man said, I wanted to give a thought to this club thing but I’m getting late so I just said “I’ll see” as I was about to pull the windows up of my car when I heard him again, “if you make up your mind to join us here then join us on this Saturday here itself, my name is Ashar, you can ask anyone I’ll be here itself” I gave a small nod and drove off....

It was already 9 pm, and I was finally tired, not wanting to go home now, I went towards the book shop to get myself some books. Getting inside the liberty books, I went directly towards fictional books, I love books, and they make me forget everything around me, and good fictional books are what I crave for, I went to look for books that have a great cover picture because I think good books does have good cover picture too, oh, well we shouldn’t judge a book by it’s cover but still...I got myself some series books, some good fictional books for a week read is all I want....

I paid the bill and got out of the store with 4 heavy bags with just books, yes, 4 bags, each bag had 5 books itself. I thought if these were actually less than what I wanted to buy, but I also need to carry these to my home, the bags were actually pretty heavy. I dropped the bags in my car and drove to my home. “Chachu chachi, I’m back,” I said happily “finally my little warrior is back home, I missed my little baby, why were you so late, why didn’t you picked up my call, did you had you lunch and what about dinner and –“ I cut my chachu in mid since he had already bombard me with so many questions. “Chachu, I did have my lunch, I was late because I was at Seaview, and my phone was on silent mode so I didn’t knew about your call, and I missed you guys too that is why I’m at home this early.” I said, side hugging my chacha chachi.

After having dinner, I went to my room and sat on the bed with my books bag that I brought this evening, getting all the books out of the bag I searched for the specific one book that I could read tonight, and that book was Love Knot by Hina Shamsi, I started reading the book with marking all the important points I found while writing on the book about my perspective about all the things, the book made me think about how a family can destroy the new generation by just saying a lie, how a lie can never make a relationship work, how things can change for a young girl when she feels all the burden the society gives her......

I was so engrossed with the book that I didn’t know when Fajr azan started, and chachi came to wake me up, “chanda- ohh uthi howi ho, chalo a jao namaz parh lo mere sath, a jao beta(My baby- oh you’re awake, come and pray namaz with me, common)” she said patting my head a little and went away to wake chachu up too...

I did stand up and went to the washroom to do ablution and came out, wearing chadar, I went to chachi, started praying with her, after praying the namaz I was reciting dua on my fingers when chachi grabbed my face in her hands and pulled me closer, she blow the air on my face and recited some surah, patting my head she stand up and said “chanda would you like to have your breakfast now or later?” Her calm and sweet personality has always had my heart, I replied “Chachi you can go to sleep. I’ll read my book and sleep again.”  I, too, stood up, went to my room, and finished the book, letting out a sigh. I laid down, and soon the sleep took over me....

I woke up, it was already 4 pm, I did sleep a lot after finishing a good book. I did fresh up and went to have something for myself and then again engrossed myself in reading...

Things have been going well today, I got no calls from my father, and I’m not really thinking about it either, which is actually a pretty good achievement, I was in my thoughts when I heard a knock on the door “Beta, mujhe ek bat krni thi apse agar ap gussa na ho tou?” (sweetheart, I want to talk to you about something if it’s okay) chachu said, still not coming inside my room just, asking for my permission.....

It feels good to have some personal space. It feels good when others respect the boundaries you create...
“Come inside, chachu. I won’t get mad at you for anything. Come please, “ I said, still having the book in my hand leaning on my chair. “Well, little warrior, I was thinking if you- like it’s all up to you, okay, but I was thinking if you want to join university again? Please don’t take it in negative way, but beta I want to see you independent, I want to see you standing up in front of your father like a warrior, you means a lot to your chacha chachi, and we both want to support you with the goals you want to set up” chachu said, I felt him being nervous while initiating this conversation with me as university has a lot of memories that I don’t want to open up to again...

Chachu is right, too. I need to make myself something, I need to make myself feel worthy, and I need to stand up for myself too...

“Chachu, I will think about it, and thank you for the concern, chachu. I appreciate it. “ I said, giving a small node with a little smile to which the chachu gave a nod and returned back to his room...

Feeling my mood a little upset, I took my car keys and made my way out of the room, informing chachi about me going out...Roaming around the city with a dazzling car that attracts attention from others is what I have grown myself adapting, too. Looking at my phone, it was already 9 pm when I glanced at the phone again, to see its Saturday today, making my mind to go towards Seaview side to meet Ashar, to see what I can do there, I started the engine and make my way...

Going towards Seaview from Do Darya road, I found crowed there, I haven’t reached Seaview and I saw the crowed already, pulling the front door glass down, I looked at the crowed and called a young boy near me “what’s going on here?” I asked out of curiosity. “Racing sister, it’s time for bike racing here and soon, at midnight car drifting will be happing too, are you here to join that with this dazzling car?” The young boy said, looking at my car with sparkling eyes. “Oh, no, I will not join the race, but I’m here to look for Ashar, I might change my mind too,” I replied. “You are looking for Ashar bhai! He’s actually getting ready for racing with his brother . He might not be able to meet you right now, but if you want, I can convey your message to him.” I looked at him and thought about the question, “Oh yes, tell him that the girl he met yesterday at Seaview came to meet him and wanted to see racing, but I will be here back at midnight to watch car racing and drifting though, so tell him to meet me right here if possible” I said while looking at the front where I could see some bikers getting ready. “OK sister, I will convey your message to him, bye.” He said and ran away.

I waited some minutes there to see the bikers getting on their bikes and self-starting their bike while the crowd cheered for them, I proceeded to start my car and drove to somewhere silent to read my new book....
Parking my car in front of the cafe, I went inside and ordered a coffee and waited for it to be prepared, while it was being prepared I watched my surrounding, the little space cafe has such a beautiful interior with peaceful environment, that made me think about how silent I have gotten too, getting my coffee I went towards my car and got in, and went to find a safe and peaceful place to read my book in silent, I parked my car and started reading my new book shatter me, I found myself engrossed in the book it was already too late at night that I didn’t realise the time...

Sipping my hot coffee that has turned cold, I took another sip when I found the cup empty, I took my phone and looked at the time. It was already 2am, putting my phone inside the book and placing it down carefully, driving towards the Seaview side again, I saw the once crowded place even more crowded, well I guess people do not sleep but stays here all day long, just then I remembered I’m one of those people too....stupid Hayat.....

________________________________________
2800 words

I merged two chapters so the story can be more interesting after some more chapters:)

Happy reading♡