「JACK OF ALL TRADES」

Jason and Luke sat by each other, supplies hazardously scattered about around them.

A pair of unzipped bags were thrown carelessly on the ground, containing camping supplies, a whole bunch of energy drinks and medical tablets as well as granola bars and protein bars that they got after raiding the University store, along with a few bottles of water which they had chucked in from the touring supplies into random backpacks they had found or emptied, belonging to what was by then surely corpses. Two sleeping bags laid open behind them on the elevated clearing, an empty can crumpled next to Luke's feet as Jason stared blankly at the sky, an untouched energy drink clutched in his hand.

Jason had lost his glasses in midst of the bloodbath that was the first scenario.

"Do you think Nico, Percy and Will are alive?"

Jason didn't even seem to register his own words, his fingers fiddling with the hoop of the can opener as his eyes held a lifeless quality to them.

It was a seemingly innocent question, but Luke got the meaning nonetheless, 'Do you think they had to kill too?'

Luke's eyes stayed fixated on the stars that were exceptionally bright while rejoicing over their misery, "I wouldn't be surprised if they found a way around it but they are definitely alive. Do you really think they'll judge us for our choice?"

It was silent.

Luke sighed, turning to face Jason. "What makes you think they'll blame us?"

Jason didn't meet his eyes, "It's not just about how they react, its about if they were even able to pass the first scenario. I'm not worried about Nico. He'll understand what he needs to do. Will may not be okay with it, but he too will soon adjust to Nico. Percy on the other hand." His fingers stilled, "He won't blame me, but he won't be fine with it either."

"It may not seem like it, Jase, but Percy is much more morally grey than you'd think. In the war against Kronos, against me, they were forced into choices that would have drove anyone else, let aone a sixteen year old, insane. If it is between the lives of his friends and a bunch of mortals, Percy isn't someone who can be considered selfless. He's the most selfish person in such a situation. I would know. That was one of the most glaring weaknesses Kronos and I targeted back in the wartime."

Jason's voice was quiet, "That is true. Even if he may choose to be selfish for a moment, that aftermath will surely be harsh on him. Percy will blame himself over his choice. After what he did in Tartarus, his guilt over it almost made him accept death. If I wasn't there, he'd have died. So I can't help but worry. What if he could not bring himself to kill and now-."

"You're forgetting something." Luke admonished, "He isn't alone."

Luke braced himself on his elbows as he leaned back, his feet hitting the crumpled can and making a metallic crinkling noise, "He won't leave Nico and Will alone to fend for themselves in an unknown world. He'll do whatever it takes. And after doing it, he'd kill himself over it. He'll blame himself but never his friends. He's kinda similar to you in that regard." Luke smiled with a strange mix of bitterness and fondness, "Percy is just that kind of person. As long as there is someone for him to protect, defeat is not an option. As long as he's there, Nico and Will are definitely safe. And in turn, as long as those two are present, he too will be safe."

Looking at Jason, the older demigod continued speaking, his tone growing progressively lighter as he spoke, "And if Percy gets in trouble, Nico will have his back. He may be a tiny little bugger, but he won't let anything happen to his friends." Luke looked up at Jason with a smile, the smile making his tired face look almost ethereal to onlookers, "Besides, Will's there as well. If those two impulsive idiots get themselves hurt, Will could just heal them. I even walked in on him practicing his photokinesis. He's not defenseless, just lacking experience and confidence."