009: Jily smut

On a particularly quiet Saturday, James made the decision to cancel Quidditch practice. Even though he felt like the team needed it, they kept complaining that his schedules bordered on abuse. He gave in, allowing them the day to rest, but not before guaranteeing them that it was a definite one-time thing. He was secretly a little glad that he cancelled, because that meant he had more time to spend with Lily. The past week had been extremely hectic, what with Head duties, Quidditch practices and studying for exams, so they'd barely gotten more than a word in before they retired for the much needed rest.

James jogged to the dormitory he and Lily shared, trying his best to hurry. Lily didn't know he'd cancelled practice, as it had been a last minute decision, so he was hoping to surprise her. He smirked at the thought of sneaking up behind her and tickling her, but he reckoned that would just make her mad at him and he'd most likely get a gentle slap to the arm. When he walked in, he saw Lily perched on the couch, turned away from him and lying on the armrest. There was a book in her hands, which was no uncommon thing. He should have guessed that even when Lily had a day to get away from studying and books, she'd read anyways.

James always liked to watch Lily read. He loved the way she leant against the couch, her scarlet locks splayed out behind her like a halo inferno, occasionally upsetting the display by twirling her fingers through the thick, silky tendrils. He couldn't help but study her as her tongue stuck out when she concentrated, and watch her lips move ever so slightly as she mouthed the words of what she was reading. James also loved when she held up a hand to silence him whenever he tried to talk to her and disturb her reading, even if it meant not getting to say what he was going to say. Every time she did this, he felt a warm sensation in his chest and a smile tug at his face.

He sauntered over to the back of the couch and leant over it, crossing his arms and resting his head on them.

"So, how's my bookworm?" James asked.

Lily said nothing, but James swore he detected a smile on her face as she held up the book instead of replying.

"I cancelled practice." James said, running a hand through his messy hair.

"Shame. You really needed it." Lily teased, looking up at him from the top of her book.

James snorted.

"Well, I was hoping we could spend some time together, seeing as we've hardly seen each other in days."

"Oh, were you?" Lily asked, her taunting edge to her voice. "I would, but I'm just so absorbed in this book."

James raised an eyebrow.

"So the book is more important than me?" He asked in mock offense.

Lily nodded, sticking her tongue out at him before covering her face with the book. James leapt over the back of the couch and landed right next to her. He reached over and plucked the book from her grip, then held it out of reach.

"Hey! Give it back, you git, I was at a good part!" She complained, reaching for it.

"You were? My mistake, perhaps I should just give it back, then?" He shot back, holding it a bit higher.

Lily blew a strand of hair out of her face, looking adorably angry. She resembled a small child that had been denied a toy.

"Fine. I don't need the book." She said, crossing her arms over her chest and turning her head away from him.

Just as James started to lower the book, Lily jumped into his lap, her arms flailing wildly as she tried to extricate the book from his grasp.

"Not so fast, Evans." He drawled. "It appears I have you right where I want you."