010: Moonflower Imagine

March 10, 1972

*.*.*.*.*.*.*

Lily Evans was reclining on the couch in the Gryffindor common room with a large book propped against her knees. It was after midnight, a late hour for a first year to be awake, but Lily was waiting for Remus Lupin to arrive back from the hospital wing. His illnesses were a regular occurrence by now, but Lily was terribly worried about her friend's health. When he finally crawled through the portrait hole, Remus looked pale and exhausted. She immediately put the book down and hurried over to him. He had shadows under his clear blue eyes and his face was thinner than before. Lily felt like crying. Remus was the sweetest boy she'd ever met and it pained her that someone so good had to suffer.

"Lily, what are you doing up?" She threw her arms around his neck, pulling his frail body into an embrace. "Lily?" he stammered. She'd never hugged him before so it was no wonder that he was shocked.

"Oh, Remus," she whispered. "Are you-"

"Yes, I'm alright."

He placed his hand hesitantly on her back and she took that as a good sign, so she pulled him closer. Lily could feel the thump of his heart against her chest. It was a very comforting sensation knowing that he was okay.

Lily's soft, shoulder-length red hair was brushing against the side of his face and it smelled like flowers. He could feel a blush spreading across his cheeks at her proximity. "Lily… err, this is kind of embarrassing."

She reluctantly let go of him and her bright smile was like the sunrise. Lily took his hand and led him over to the couch. "I have a surprise for you," she said excitedly. "I'll go and get it!" He watched with amusement as she ran up the girl's staircase. Lily always had so much energy.

Remus sat down beside her black cat, who was curled up on a tartan blanket in the middle of the couch. The cat opened his golden eyes and looked at him. "Hi, Lumos," he greeted. The cat gave a big yawn and stretched his limbs out before climbing onto his lap. Lily's cat liked him for some strange reason. He scratched Lumos behind the ears and the cat purred in contentment.

He heard Lily's footsteps and soon she was in front of him, holding a cupcake with a single lit candle. "Happy Birthday, Remus!" That's right. He was 12 years old today. She held it in front of him. "Make a wish." Something immediately sprang to mind and he blew the flame out in one breath.

Lily pulled the candle out of the chocolate frosting. Remus took the cupcake from her hands and thanked her. "This is really nice of you." He hadn't eaten anything all day and was absolutely ravenous. The dessert was gone in about four bites. Remus was licking his fingers when Lily gave a tinkling little laugh next to him. "Sorry," he mumbled.

She nudged his shoulder with hers. "Not at all. I'm glad you liked it. I know chocolate is your favorite so I saved it from dinner. Professor McGonagall gave me the candle though." She pulled her legs up, covering herself with the tartan blanket.

"Thank you for thinking of me, Lily. It means a lot."

"Well of course I think of you. You're my friend, Remus." A crease appeared between her eyebrows. "I just wish you felt better on your birthday."

"I do because of you."

She blinked her pretty green eyes at him. "Truly?"

"Yes, truly," he replied with a little smile.

Lily leaned her head against his shoulder. "I'm glad." After a brief moment of silence she said, "Will you tell me about your illness someday?"

"I don't know, Lily," he replied apprehensively.

"I'll never think the less of you for it." Remus wanted to believe that. Lily was so kind… if anyone could overlook him being a werewolf, it would be her. "No matter what, we'll always be friends," she murmured. "I promise."

That was exactly what he had wished for. Remus turned his head to look down at her. Lily's eyes were closed and her reddish eyelashes glowed in the firelight. His heart was beating fast and his insides were fluttering around. It was a peculiar feeling, but not a bad one. Lily's even breathing seemed to indicate that she was asleep. He was usually shivery after the full moon, but he felt warm and relaxed with Lily at his side, the cat on his lap, and the crackling fire in front of him. He closed his tired eyes and silently thanked Dumbledore for allowing him to attend Hogwarts. Remus finally felt as though he belonged somewhere.