𝟤.𝟢8: 𝒪𝒽 𝒹𝑒𝒶𝓇, 𝓁𝑜𝓋𝑒.

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

Kristel and Once-Ler are at his factory's balcony. "Look at what I've achieved, Kristel." He drinks from his wine. "Isn't it so beautiful? Flash and colors everywhere. It just shows how amazing I am." She rolls her eyes playfully. "For sure, C, for sure."

The city lights are blinding to the eyes. Onceler's not too bothered, he always comes prepared with his cool, glittery sunglasses. "This is amazing, Once-Ler." She says as her eyes burn from the epilepsy-inducing lights.

"Y'know, Kris. Everyone used to go against me." Once-Ler sighs. He wants to get everything out of his chest. "All because they didn't believe in my product. Because they didn't believe in me." He says with a sad smile. "But look at me. I'm as successful as I could be!" He says with arrogance, with a hint of insecurity.

"And you know what's worst?" He groans angrily, "That Lorax who always comes here uninvited." He makes two quotation marks with his fingers. "He always says that he will use his powers against me. But all he has done is preach and scream in my ears all day." An audible facepalm is heard. "And now he managed to convince this anonymous journalist to go against me? What does he think he is?!"

Kristel felt guilt crawling on her chest, especially due to the situation they were in. Once-Ler noticed the guilt on her face, mistaking it as pity. His face softened as he said, "You don't have to pity me, Kris." He held her hands tightly. His gloved fingers caress her rough palms. "It's all in the past now." He placed their wine glasses on the nearby table.

"Your stubbornness never ceases to amaze me." She chuckled lightly. Once-Ler corrected, "It's determination, Kris. Get that right." Kristel groans in playful annoyance. Once-Ler places his hand on her shoulder. "Well, how are my employees treating you, Miss?" He says in a teasing tone, "Don't want them to set a... bad example." She raised an eyebrow, "Ah, your employees..."

"Well, you're Miss █████ , aren't you? Anderson told me all about you." Kristel nodded, "Mhm. Take a seat." And so a montage of employees chattering begins.

"You know, I do like working       "I CAN'T DO THIS
with Mister Once-Ler. It's just a   ANYMORE! I'VE
bit overwhelming that's all."        DONE EVERYTHING
                                                           FOR THE COMPANY,
"I just came here for the free       YET HE STILL
food. Sorry for wasting your       IGNORES ME?!"
time."

"I don't even          "Mister Once-Ler this, Mr. Once-Ler
know why I got     that I would be happier if there were
this job in the        more mandatory breaks."
first place."

"Do you think it would be possible to survive a tree grinder?" Kristel gave him a weird look, "What? It's for work purposes."

"They were fun, to say the least." She chuckles tiredly. "Ugh, what did they do?" He groans, "Don't tell me, it's my brothers aren't they?" He rolls his eyes. "They've still got their childish charm, don't they?" She teases the Once-Ler, punching his shoulder playfully. "Ow. That still hurts." He whines. "And yes, they still do. Even if they tease me a lot, I still love them, y'know?" He reminisces about the times Brett, Chet, and him playing together.

Kristel leans onto his shoulder. She holds his thin arms, feeling its firmness. "Oh, you've gotten strong." She squeezed his hand. Once-Ler blushes bashfully. "I've been working out after I left home." He rubs his head, "I had to live somehow." Kristel held his cheek, her hand softly grazing upon his face. They felt a heat sensation around them. Something filled with love and peace, something real between them.

Once-Ler noticed it first. When he realized it, he was stunned. He couldn't love his best friend, he couldn't! What will his mom think of him? Mom-Ler told him to stay put and try not to fall in love with her. In quotes, "So we could use her for our benefit, Oncie." Yet he wanted her. Once-Ler needed her. He needed her reassurance, her smile, her reading voice in the night. Yet...

He held her hips tightly.

Kristel noticed it as well after he held her tight. Kristel felt guilty. Where what she chooses will betray the other. Kris promised Lorax that she'd help him. She's still sure of that, but it's hard to see the end of the tunnel. Kristel promised herself that she'd fix everything. Her family's reputation, Pipsqueak, and the critter's home, The Lorax's Trufulla forest. She promised. Yet their love isn't. What she promised was that they would see each other again. However, even if their reunion turns into rivalry. She has done what she promised.

She held his chest.

They stare at each other. The moon lit the two unfortunate. Their faces go closer with hesitation. He caressed her lips, she licked his finger. They smiled sadly as they looked at each other. They knew that they would. They both knew.

They kissed. But their kiss was not made of peace. It was filled with sadness and sorrow. A kiss that was filled with love, but their circumstances filled them with shame. She lets go of the kiss. "Once-Ler..." She says quietly, "Do you feel that?" She asked. Of what he feels is sorrow or joy, the answer would be yes. But instead of talking, he kissed her again. Kristel kissed back.

"Kristel..?" He looks at her with shame, "I love you." He gave her a big embrace, "I... I love you too." Her face was buried in his chest.

Oh, you two... What have you both gotten into?

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

(They're going to kill each other one day 😉)

(Phone users will never understand this format:

(Edit: Fixed this part ᥫ᭡⍢⃝    for mobile readers)