The Master of Puppets

November 27th

7:00am.

The screeching sound of Ren's alarm filled his room as the boy jumped out of his bed. He put on his glasses went to the bathroom and washed his face.
As he walked around in his room changing from pajamas to daytime clothing he heard murmuring from his bedroom door. He could not understand what was said but he recognized the voices.
He opened the door to find his mother and brother waiting for him with a birthday cake. The cake was neatly decorated with sprinkles and with fourteen candles lit, waiting to be blown.

"Happy birthday Ren!" Said Maria.

"Birthday brat!" Lendo patted Ren on the head while letting out a smile.

"Wish for something before all the wax covers your cake." Said Maria holding the dessert in front of his son.
Ren looked around in the room, at his mother and Lendo and blew out the candles.

"I wish for dad to be here!" Ren said with his eyes nailed to the ground in embarrassment.

"Honey!" Maria hugged her son tightly. "I am sorry that your father couldn't make it, but you know, he really wanted to be here."

"And now that you said your wish out loud it won't come true either way." Lendo mocked Ren, but his cynical smile quickly deteriorated as he met Maria's gaze.

"Now come and eat your cake!" Lendo led him to the kitchen and cut a slice for his brother.

"Shouldn't he eat breakfast before dessert?" Maria raised her eyebrow at the boys.

"It's my birthday! I can have cake for breakfast, right?" Ren looked at his mother for permission. Maria reluctantly nodded, and Ren immediately took a huge bite. "Hm! Chocolate and hazelnut!" Moaned Ren.

"I'm glad you like it darling. When you're finished brush your teeth well."

"Don't you want a slice Lendo?" Ren asked with an inviting glint in his eyes.

"I'm good. Hazelnut is not my favorite." Lendo walked away with a cold expression.
Ren took his time with the cake, savoring every bite, not even noticing Maria walking away from his son with serious look and went to the bathroom. She took hidden phone out and called Atla. While the phone was ringing she opened the shower to muffle the sound of their conversation. As soon as Atla appeared on screen she squeezed the phone harder. "Did you learn enything?"

"Not much but he's safe as long as you're around. No overhuman will try to hurt him."

"I don't doubt that, but that's not enough!"

"All I could find out is that whenever an FWL appears they'll awaken their powers in the next wave. After that it's only a matter of time before the Ever Family finds out about them. There is no recorded survivor, and no known way of bargaining with them."

"So as soon as he gets powers his days are numbered." Maria's tone lowered as the sheer thought mortified her.

"Yes but even If he gets a power, he is safe. Outside of us and Julia no one knows what he is."

"We don't know what he is either." Maria was clearly distressed. Atla looked her in the eye with a concerned gaze.

"I've never seen you like this. Even with Lendo you were always calm and strong."

"Maybe it's the years of being a regular, made me softer. But we are talking about our little one here. Ren is innocent and pure."
Suddenly Lendo appeared in the door. "Are you talking to dad? What is this secrecy?" She jumped and turned to look at their older son, but also hid her phone next to her leg.