Chapter XVI: An unknown power

When the girls left the village, the rest of the group divided into teams and started their training. One of these unfortunate souls was Terry who had to use all his energy on evading the oncoming attacks from Ken.

"Please for the love of all that is holy, let me rest Ken! I cannot keep this up much longer." Terry pleaded with his sparring partner, but Ken was focusing on the other two sparring. Hook and Ren. What a waste! Ken thought to himself.

Hook threw an uppercut at Ren who felt he had no time to evade, thus he crossed his arms in defense.

"Again! As I said, you should focus on dodging. Someone with your build needs to be swift to conserve energy." Hook instructed the skinny boy.

"If I keep my distance, I can't hit you." Ren muttered just loud enough for Hook to hear.

"Right now, it's not about hitting. It's about learning to use dodging as a weapon." Hooks answer left Ren confused, so the man continued. "Every time you dodge an attack, your enemy exerts more energy than you do. They have to target you, pour power into the attack, and pull back their fist and get ready for your counterattack. Meanwhile you just get out of the way. This stacks. After a while your enemy is exhausted and only then will you attack."

"That's not how Niel or Ken fights."

"Because they are different. You could put them up against a brick wall and after five minutes they would find a reason to punch it."

Ren stared at him silently for a second before charging at him to attack. Hook dodged quickly and grabbed his arm.

"Tell me, Ren! Why are you on edge?" Hook interrogated the boy with growing frustration.

"Because I need to be good at this!" Ren kicked himself off of Hook's body and dashed away from him. "Maybe if I improve here..." Ren remembered the interaction he had with the psychiatrist earlier that day.

"It will carry over to the real world?" Hook finished Ren's sentence.

Ren nodded silently at Hook's observation

"Listen Ren... you have talent! The time we fought you showed me potential to be something great. But if you constantly fight yourself, every battle you have in the future will be a two on one."

"You're saying I shouldn't fight until I am "fixed"? Until I get an approval from that shrink?" Ren degraded Dr Ottoman in a sudden fit of rage.

"That's not what I meant exactly." Hook lowered himself to be at eye-level with him.

"But what if it's the other way around? What if I overcome something great here and it makes me feel better about myself?"

"That is a possibility but be careful! You might head into an altercation looking for a solution, but only finding trouble." Hook warned Ren, whose expression hardened by those words. "Now let's switch!" Hook turned to Terry and Ken, who immediately stopped their fight.

"Thank God! Now for some tamed training with master Hook." Terry let out a relieved sigh.

"Ken! You come out! Ren you go and spar with Terry. "Hook signaled to the excited boy.

Ren jumped in the ring with a determined seriousness in his eyes

Why does life punish me with these two? Terry realized he would not get the rest he thought he would.

Meanwhile Blitz was training Vhiz, Sun, and Faul.

"Alright! Listen up kids! Today we'll continue our speed training." Blitz lined the kids up in front of him. "Speed is essential in a battle! Speed will help you evade, get to safety, get reinforcements, relay a message across long distances. The list goes on."