Chapter X: Birds in a storm

While the world was turned upside-down by the tragic conclusion of the Grand Ceremony, the children of Younen were getting ready for their second day of training in the Second Reality. The air was cold and still, pressing on the children's shoulders. Sun was still recovering from his wounds. The twelve children stood in melancholy looking at the spot where Taran killed the bear. Drag marks lead into the darkness of a forest with the bear's skull laying in the bushes looking at the children.

"He came back for the bear... and left us a warning too." Ren whispered.

"What are we going to do?" Terry jumped back.

"We train all the same. We'll still have a better chance here together." Luna reasoned with the distressed boy.

"Yeah, but how should we start?"

"Dunno... maybe like a p.e. class?" Luna said with her hand in her pockets.

"You want me to run? I'm out." By the time Faul finished the sentence he was halfway through the gate.

"Wait! You lazy bastard!" Niel pulled him back. "Let's do push-ups and all that stuff, after we're done, I guess we should use our powers on the surroundings.

"Pushups? I can move boulders the size of Marco! What would a couple of pushups do?" Ken critiqued the plans of Niel.

"Have you ever done a thousand?" Niel asked, showing a cheeky smile.

"No..." Ken answered hesitantly.

"Well here's your chance!"

"And who are you to order me around? Sun is our leader, and he is currently not here. So, I should step up as the next one with the most votes!" Ken puffed out his chest as he made his case.

"Actually that would be Ren. He got more votes than you." Niel turned to his friend.

"No way in hell!" Ken shouted in disbelief. Ren stood there, shocked by the hopeful gaze of his classmates and the frustrated stare of Ken. "How is that even possible?"

"Oh I'm gonna enjoy this!" Niel chuckled. "First of all, he is smarter than you. He is less hot-headed, and now that he has a power, he is possibly even... stronger than you." Niel emphasized the last one, enjoying every letter of that word.

Ken's hair went up like never before. Veins popped on his forehead and his face went blood red. "Oh, really?" Ken clenched his fist as he snarled. "Then I say... Let's put that theory to the test!" Ken lunged at Ren with his glowing hair, looking to cut him in half. Ren dodged out of the way, panicking trying to get his footing. "Wait Ken! Wait! I don't want to fight you!"

"Oh, but you will! Otherwise, I'll chop you up!" Ken continued his pursuit.

"Stop it you bastard! Just accept him as your leader for now!" Niel tried to jump in before being stopped by Luna.

"Ren cannot be a leader if he can't stand up for himself. Let them fight Niel."

"Get the hell out of my way." Niel tried to sidestep her, but Luna leaned in his way and punched him in the stomach. Niel curled around Luna's fist as saliva flew out of his mouth. "Sorry Niel but you cannot hold Ren's hand forever."

"I'm sorry too." Niel groaned in pain. "If you think a punch like that would knock me out, you are dumber than your pal!" Niel grabbed Luna by her arm and threw her over his shoulder on the ground. She coughed from the impact, but quickly stood up to face him again.

Ren jumped over slashes and slid under cuts as Ken pursued him into the woods.

"Should we go after them?" Taran asked the others.