Chapter 7

Beyond The Bite  •  Chapter 7
(Word Count: 1,782)

This morning left me feeling paradoxically light yet burdened. The emotional load connected to Derek had been lifted, but a newly emerged challenge cast its shadow.

"There's no way we're letting you do this," Scott protested with a snap in his tone.

"I'm not seeking martyrdom, but after discussing it with Deaton, it seems Peter wasn't wrong. We're dealing with something beyond our experience. If Enochain's mark can stop it, it's our best shot," I countered, only to be met with resistant headshakes and murmurs.

Derek, who had remained steadfast at my side while I shared Peter's intel about Enochain, caught my eye. Despite his obvious alignment with the pack's protective stance, our silent exchange betrayed his understanding of the inevitable.

Breaking our gaze, Derek addressed the pack. "I share your concerns," he started, instantly commanding silence. "But we must consider the mark's significance. Deaton is still unsure of the cause behind the hikers' deaths, but Enochain's mark isn't a minor detail in some legend. It comes with a dire prophecy. We've faced alphas, a Kanima, a Darach, seasoned hunters, but this is an unprecedented threat. It has claimed lives and is poised to do so again. We must support Stiles if his connection to Enochain can counter this menace. Any reservations at this point should be set aside. It's crucial to recognize Stiles as a part of this pack and grant him the right to stand with us in this battle."

His words left an echoing silence, punctuated by the range of emotions flickering across everyone's faces. Meanwhile, I barely contained the impulse to close the distance between us with an affectionate gesture.

"Okay," Malia finally said, breaking the quiet, her eyes conveying camaraderie.

After a glance from a resigned Scott that spoke volumes of reluctant agreement, the rest of the pack concurred.

"Thank you," I managed, barely holding back the surge of emotions.

"Pizza, anyone?" Isaac's suggestion to eat lightening the charged atmosphere.

Murmurs of agreement echoed around the room as the group made their way toward the kitchen.

"Thanks. For sharing all that. You really didn't have to," I said, my hand fleetingly touching Derek's elbow, eyes lifting to meet his. The thunderous beat of my heart echoed the warmth that crept up my neck, coloring my cheeks as I was caught in the depth of his forest green gaze, carrying a tenderness I'd never known before.

"I had every reason to. You're my—" Derek started, voice firm with conviction, but his words were promptly cut off.

"Derek, where do you keep the plates?" Scott's voice boomed from the kitchen, lobbing an interruption into our moment.

A resigned sigh passed Derek's lips, and I could see a spark of frustration briefly flicker across his expression, mirroring the feeling of our previous uncanny interruptions.

"How about later?" I offered lightly, trying to cast the interruption in a playful light.

With a rueful shake of his head, Derek let out a gentle chuckle.

With a wry promise of 'later,' the heartfelt moment was shelved; though I cherished the way his lips curved into a soft, intimate smile that seemed to be crafted uniquely for me.

Excusing himself, Derek turned to address the kitchenware crisis.

I nodded, my frantic heart pleading for a reprieve from its relentless pounding, hoping it wouldn't betray my feelings to any of the others.