Chapter 15

Beyond The Bite • Chapter 15
(Word Count: 1,958)

"Stiles, please, help me!"

I jerked awake, a sob wracking my lungs as a cold tremor shook my body from the remnants of the nightmare's grip. Derek's arms enveloped me, his voice a soothing whisper against the turmoil. After a moment, I pushed myself upright, my fingers frantically combing through my tousled hair as I battled the sick feeling in my stomach. The gentle circles on my back Derek provided anchored me as my breaths steadied, slowly drawing me back from the brink of terror.

In the quiet, Derek's soft inquiry broke through. "What did you dream about?" His palm settled with comforting weight on my hip as I lay back down, facing him.

Exhaling shakily, I glanced up, locking eyes with Derek's steady, reassuring gaze.

"It was you," came my muffled confession, eyes drifting to Derek's chest where my fingers idly teased at the coarse hairs.

The dreams had grown more vivid since Enochian appeared it seemed. Derek exhaled a long, wordless breath, his fingers gently sweeping errant strands from my eyes.

"He might be toying with your mind, manipulating these dreams to dissuade us," Derek suggested finally, his fingertips grazing my neck tenderly. "He's who released what's out there, so his hero status might be overstated."

I let out a noncommittal murmur, fingertips splaying over Derek's chest. "Being immortal must twist things. However, he did reveal how to trap the mist. There's some good in him."

"Possibly," Derek replied, thumb caressing the patch of stubble on my cheek he'd recently taken a liking to. He'd confessed that he found my facial hair attractive, adding a 'rugged sexiness' he didn't expect. At the time, I'd brushed him off with a quip about shaving it off, but I never did, secretly appreciating those moments his gaze lingered appreciatively on me.

The pull of our bond was now something I felt consistently, pulling us together amidst the undeniable tension. Yet, as always, something stood in our way.

With each day, I processed the loss of my dad, channeling my pain into our shared mission to stop the mist. My nightmares persisted, but they were easier to face with Derek's nightly presence providing solace.

"It's been a couple days..." I faltered, our eyes meeting, "You haven't mentioned more about the ritual."

His lips twitched, as if trying to find the right words within their gentle arch.

He eventually revealed, "I didn't want to rush you. All that's happened... I can wait until you're ready."

My heart thumped, emotion welling within. "But I am ready. I want that connection — your emotions, thoughts, everything you described. Just like mates should have."

Derek's chuckle was a soft thing as he leaned in for a kiss, our bodies syncing in need, my mouth yielding to the tender invasion of his tongue. His taste was a unique blend of mint, coffee, and a sweetness that was undeniably Derek. My back arched at the brush of his nails, a breathless moan uttered when his mouth traced a wet path to my throbbing pulse.

"Derek," I gasped as memories of his bite surged, the craving for that punctuating sting flaring up once more.

A fervent plea tumbled from my lips, our connection washing away any hesitance.

"Soon," Derek breathed against my sensitized skin.

We collected ourselves, bodies pressed together, our hands exploring with gentleness as our breathing steadied.

"It feels so intense," I confessed, responding to his touch with involuntary shivers.

"The bond demands submission between an alpha and their beta — it's intense, compelling you to yield so the bond can be complete," Derek explained.