Chapter 14

Beyond The Bite  •  Chapter 14
(Word Count: 1,966)

"What does it mean to be mates, exactly?" I inquired, liberally spooning sugar into my coffee, arguably to an excess.

Derek's gaze rose from his own steaming beverage, seemingly ignited by a weighty sentiment to which I was oblivious.

He paused, his tongue briefly darting out to moisten his lips as the cup settled into his lap, his thumb gracefully tracing the curve of the handle. There he was, a vision of casual ease reclined against my bed's headboard, his hair a tousled mess from sleep, sporting only gym shorts while those oval frames rested on his nose — a remnant of the early morning's previous reading. Yet despite his outward appearance of tranquility, the subtle removal of his glasses signaled an underlying rigidity as he prepared to address my query.

"In the werewolf world, it's more than just fondness or commitment. It's..." Derek seemed to tread cautiously around the topic, obviously significant to him. He paused, seeking just the right words. "Imagine your other half, but not in the metaphorical sense. It's literally as if you share the same soul. It transcends love at first sight. The bond is an all-consuming, relentless force — an ache that burrows into your being and persists until you're united with your mate. And once the bond is consummated, mates can sense each other's emotions, share thoughts, and even link their life forces so that one can save the other from the brink of death. It's an unbreakable tether, more profound than the bonds of blood or camaraderie. You become soulmates, eternally intertwined."

Derek's revelation hit me with its gravity. The idea of sharing such an ethereal bond with him was overwhelming. I hadn't grasped that the pull I felt towards Derek was the very bond he described. It was hard to imagine he had kept this knowledge to himself.

"Why did you keep this from me?" The question leapt from my lips as I drew my knees closer to my chest, perched on my desk chair.

Derek took a measured drink from his mug, then cleared his throat. "Back at the pool, when I told you to run from Jackson but you stayed to help me... that's when I recognized the bond. But you were so loyal to your friends, and you barely tolerated me. After taking Peter's alpha power, I became something terrible and didn't care who I hurt. The power blinded me to what should have been precious..."

'Me', I wanted to believe.

He sighed deeply, admitting, "By the time it was all over, I'd made too many mistakes. So I kept my distance."

"You did it to protect me?" My voice wavered, emotion tightening around my core, drawing my hug around my legs tighter.

"Yes," Derek nodded, placing his mug aside. "I couldn't stand to see you get hurt because of me. My life... it's dangerous. And everyone who gets close seems to pay the price."

I almost laughed, but it stalled into a head shake, eyes falling to my sock-covered feet. "Derek, at this point, my life's been pretty bizarre. Werewolf best friends trying to kill me every full moon, psycho uncles, kanimas, alpha packs, murderous English teachers... Your 'dangerous' life isn't exactly new to me."

A wry chuckle slipped out as I raised my eyes to meet Derek's intense gaze.

"Becoming 'mate to Derek Hale' hardly seems like it would have been the worst thing on that list or added any real threat."

A small smile and a nod from Derek acknowledged my point.

I moved from my chair to the bed, kneeling in front of him with a playful glint. "So this bond... it isn't official until it's, you know, consummated?" I teased, gently prodding his chin to look me in the eyes.