Chapter 17

Beyond The Bite  •  Chapter 17
(Word Count: 2,039)

As I grazed my fingers over the fresh bite mark on my shoulder, I caught my reflection in the bathroom mirror, looking thoroughly rumpled. A ghost of a smile crossed my lips, as I attempted to smooth out my unruly hair.

"Hi," came Derek's voice from behind me, his arms enveloping my waist and his bare chest pressing into my back

A rush of heat flooded my neck at the sight of him still unclothed. My eyes also took in the mark I had left on his shoulder.

Echoing his greeting, I leaned back into him, "Hi."

"You're so beautiful," he murmured, breath dancing along my ear and sending shivers down my spine as the memories of what transpired the night before flooded my mind.

Our eyes met in the mirror reflection and a thoughtful hum vibrated from my throat, "The bite... it hasn't healed. Is that supposed to happen?"

Derek's embrace loosened as his fingers trailed along my arm to gently outline the indentation he'd left on me.

"It'll take time to heal. It's designed to leave a scar—a permanent symbol of our bond." His gaze lingered on the mark, speaking volumes of its significance.

I turned to face him, "I think it's beautiful—in its own way. It means I'll always have a piece of you with me, no matter the distance."

He let out a soft chuckle, cradling my face in his hands, "You sound like a poet."

A playful scoff escaped me, and I nudged him away, stepping out from the en suite.

"Who knew you were into the rougher side of things," I teased, a smirk gracing my lips.

"'What?'" He raised his eyebrows in confusion.

"You know, 'Any time you need me to stop, just say red' – you sounded so dark and broody," I mimicked with a laugh, alluding to the safe word he had provided.

He nodded, an acknowledging chuckle emerging from him, just before I found myself suddenly tossed back onto the bed, pinned under his larger frame. My heart raced as I quickly regained my composure from the shock.

"I don't indulge in the more extreme facets. That comment was about your safety—about making sure you never felt overwhelmed by me," he said sincerely, his expression softening.

"You don't have to worry, Derek. I trust you completely," I assured him, fingers tracing up his jawline.

He leaned into my touch, "Still, a precaution is wise."

Sensing something deeper behind his words, I inquired gently, "What happened?"

He sighed deeply, shifting to sit against the headboard; I followed, sitting up to give him my full attention.