THREE.

"Wyatt Tate? That's your choice?" Lawson asked with a smirk. He, Hannah and Guin had told me about her. The fortunate part, for us both, was that her name was one that usually belonged to a man, so I was able to trick dad into agreeing to hiring her under somewhat false pretenses.

"Fine. Do you want to make the call or do you want me to?"

"I'll call," I said, walking out of his office wearing a knowing smirk. Dad was going to be so pissed.

I got into my car and drove towards Declan's place. I decided to call her and let her know that she got the job. After four rings, she answered, and she sounded confused. "Hello?"

"Hello, Miss Tate?"

There was a commotion before she responded. "Hi, Mr. Sinclair." I fucking hated being Mr. Sinclair.

"I'd like to offer you the assistant editor position."

"You would?" she asked, now sounding more surprised.

"Yeah. You were the only one without a stick up their ass."

"And the only one without a penis," she added and I almost laughed, but I was able to hold it in.

"Yeah. That, too."

"Listen. I'm not sure that I want the job anymore," she said, and she was serious. I needed to do something to sweeten the deal. Hannah said she needed to make money for grad school. Maybe if I offered a bonus that would do it.

"I'll pay you an extra $10,000 the first year." I had four times that in my savings if I couldn't talk dad into paying her the bonus. For a long while she wasn't talking, in fact I was starting to wonder if the line had actually gone dead. Had she hung up on me?

"Miss Tate?"

"Yes."

"Yes you're there or yes you'll take the job?" I asked her.

"Yes. I'll take the job."

"Good. You start tomorrow. See you at 9:00am," I said, then I pushed the button to hang up before she could back out because I had a feeling she might have if I had kept talking to her. I was halfway to Declan's and I knew that once I got there he would have to text Hannah to let her know that I hired her friend.

I got inside the front door and he was mixing a drink at the counter. "That bad, huh?"

"Yeah. Want to join me?"

"Sure, but I'm celebrating."

"What, exactly, are you celebrating?" he asked me.

"I hired an assistant. She will be perfect."

"You hired Atty?!"

"No, I hired Wyatt- Hannah and Guin's friend. You should text her and let her know, so they can go out and celebrate or do whatever shit they do. I'm sure she'll be excited to hear that she gets to work with her bestie," I said and Declan gave me the stare.

"What?!" I said, chuckling.

"You know what. She is OFF LIMITS, Harris. I'm serious." After lecturing me a while longer than I would have liked, I assured him that I had no need for someone to hook up with at work. I needed someone who would help me fake doing my job and be just mean enough to make me learn how to actually do it.

——————————

Dad walked into my office with Declan. "You hired a woman? How did she even get into the pile of candidates?"

"Clever girl, that one. You see, her name is WYATT. So, clearly nobody checked which box she marked for gender. Come to think of it," I said as I sarcastically put my finger up to my chin, "I think that it is illegal- to discriminate based on gender? Huh. Guess it worked in my favor this time."