Chapter 84. An Impasse

Dear Readers,

Thank you for being a part of this journey!

Also, any new readers, please go through 'Elements of Fire' the amazing story, this work is a continuation of.

https://www.wattpad.com/story/205998187-elements-of-fire

Underneath the benevolent shroud of the velvety night sky, silence reigned over the palace gardens of Anga

Underneath the benevolent shroud of the velvety night sky, silence reigned over the palace gardens of Anga. The quietude of the night was broken only by the distant murmur of nature's nocturne and the soft strains of music coming from within the Grand Entertainment Hall of the Palace of Anga. The notes, delicate as the wings of a cuckoo and as melodious as the bulbul's song, floated on the air, carrying a transient harmony that dissipated in the stillness of the night.

Inside, the King of Anga was immersed in the climax of the Saangitika Katha, acutely aware of the warmth emanating from his queen beside him.

.

.

.

Beats of the tabla resonated like battle drums portraying the chaos of clashing armies. Lyrical verses painted a vivid picture of Vikram's bravery in war and Nalinika's anxious wait.

.

The music softened, transitioning into a mellower tune—a victorious albeit wounded warrior emerged from the battlefield. The beloved met in an embrace filled with joy and tears.

.

The music crescendoed one final time. Gradually, the tempo ebbed away. The serene tunes of the tanpura reclaimed the spotlight, echoing the tranquil return to normalcy.

.

.

.

As the echoes of the final notes reverberated within the splendid halls, Karna issued a stream of directives to the diligent attendants and maids, articulating the intricate nuances required for the preparation of Draupadi's chamber. The mesmerising performances continued seamlessly, as planned by Angrani, while his instructions were being meticulously executed in her quarters. The Guhyavaani expert was commanded to infuse melodies conducive to relaxation and tranquillity.

Upon the entry of the Shayita Palika into the halls, the King of Anga signalled for the conclusion of the concert, beckoning an aide to facilitate the customary bestowal of gifts upon the performers and attendants. Once they were dismissed and only the royal entourage of the queen and the chief performer remained, he lifted Panchali with effortless grace, his embrace as gentle as the cradling of the finest silk. In an elegant display of care, he gently placed her within the Palanquin. Sensing her stirring, his hand instinctively moved to tenderly rest upon her forehead, imparting a calming warmth that lulled her back to sleep.