Chapter 87. Dissonating thoughts

Dear Readers,

Thank you for your patience and for being a part of this journey!

Most importantly, any new readers, please go through 'Elements of Fire' the amazing story, this work is a continuation of.

https://www.wattpad.com/story/205998187-elements-of-fire

Happy Reading!

In the courtyard garden of the Women's quarters nestled within the regal Palace of Champanagri, the somber embrace of evening enveloped its Queen like a mournful melody

In the courtyard garden of the Women's quarters nestled within the regal Palace of Champanagri, the somber embrace of evening enveloped its Queen like a mournful melody. Amidst the verdant beauty, the fire-born princess sat perched upon the garden swing, gently swaying beneath the sheltering boughs of the stately Ashoka tree. Its ancient, grey and gnarled branches, gleaming like polished silver, bowed in silent supplication to the heavens above. Even the fragrant blooms of the jasmine vine, Panchali's favored scent, proved futile in soothing the tempest of her troubled soul.

Beneath the dim twilight, her gaze caught sight of a cuckoo hastening to find sanctuary amidst the towering mango tree, seeking refuge in its hidden alcoves. Creatures of the earth scurried for cover, seeking solace in the safety of burrows, acutely aware of the peril concealed within the gathering storm clouds. The delicate flower bushes rustled and trembled, their once joyful blooms now quivering in anticipation of the impending deluge, as if mourning the brevity of their ephemeral existence. Indradev, the lord of thunder, appeared to be in a vengeful mood.

Once upon a time, the fiery princess of Panchal had reveled in the stormy weather, for it evoked memories of the one she had once held dearer than herself. Countless afternoons were spent dancing in the rain, yearning for closeness to the one who had seemed to always elude her grasp. The chaturmaas, the four lunar months of the monsoon, spanning from Shrawan Maas to Karthik Maas, had held a cherished sanctity in her heart.

It was during the Chaturmaas, that Bhagwan Shiva had saved the creation from 'halahala', which had surfaced during the cosmic churn orchestrated by the asuras and devas in their quest for the nectar of immortality. It is also the time that Bhagwan Vishnu enters a state of divine repose, often referred to as 'Yoga Nidra' as he resides in Patala because of the boon given to the Asura King Bali. In these four months, the tumult of life abated, and the world stilled its frenetic pace, abstaining from conquests and pilgrimages, alike. Thus, the two seasons of varsha and sharad were that period of the year which was reserved for devotion and the nurturing of familial ties.

Throughout her life, every cascade of rain since embracing the mantle of motherhood was shared intimately with her children. Whether spent engaging them during languid days within the confines of the palace or consoling their apprehensions and lulling them into slumber on tumultuous nights, their mother was always there, a reassuring presence in their lives. This year, she had resigned herself to enduring the monsoon without Suthanu by her side, but destiny had ordained a different course. Never again would she experience the monsoon with her beloved children. How, she pondered, were they faring in her absence? In whose tender embrace did they seek solace now?