Part 9: The twins' crime

The twins killed four people in one month without being caught. They had the special power of moving objects by their command, which might be spelling. They committed the crime in mysterious ways. When a young man was in the kitchen, a knife suddenly started moving toward him and stabbed him while the twins were in a different room. Since not enough evidence has been collected, we cannot accuse them of murdering the people. At the same time, another young man fell through a window in the house the very same day.

All we have to do now is find evidence, or we can make them confess what they have done.

Are there any good suggestions or recommendations from all of you?

James raised his hand.

"Do you have any good ideas?"

"No, sir, but I have a question."

"Go ahead!"

"Were they always together when they committed the murders?"

"Allegedly, yes."

"And it seemed that they were always nearer to the victims when the crimes happened."

"Did the victims know the twins before? Any connections?"

"Two of them knew the twins well. They used to be the twins' childhood friends. But the other two seemed not to know them well. They were a couple indeed."

"A couple?"

"Yes."

"Did the couple die together?"

"Different times and in different places," one of the judges said.

"Who died first?"

"The man. He was bicycling near the Long River, and he suddenly ran off the bicycle.

When he was trying to stand up, the water of the river came over him, and he disappeared, as witnesses told him."

"So, what about the woman?" When and how did the woman die? Again, James asked urgently."

"A week later, just after her beloved one's funeral, she went to a flower store where she was working.

Allegedly, she was killed by the poisoned flower. The witnesses said that the woman herself touched the flower. And suddenly, she fell down. People were trying to call a doctor, but it was too late."

Everyone was so quiet that it seemed they were contemplating the information.

"I have questions again," I interrupted. I was so surprised that everyone looked at me with a big surprise. Then I moved on.

"When the couple died, were the twins in the same place too?"

The leader began speaking in a rigid voice.

"In the man's case, people saw the twins near the river, a little bit up from the place where the man was found dead. In the woman's case, people said only one of them was just outside of the flower's store after she died.

And an old woman saw the other one in a magazine store at that time. The magazine store was way away from the flower shop. I stayed silent, thinking over the information I just got."

All of a sudden, James stood and said, "I think that the couple's death does not really make sense to me.

"I agreed with James!", I almost cried. And I went on, "In my opinion, in the two guys' case, the twins apparently killed them intentionally. So it could be a motive for grudges: revenge.

"Yes, it could be indeed," the leader repeated. "We asked people who knew them well."

"Based on the results of our questionnaire and investigation, the twins seemed to act together if they used their power, but alone they might not be able to use it. "That's a good conclusion," someone from the crowd cried. "

However, the twins' ability started a year ago when one of the village people witnessed it, and the leader continued. The witness told us that the twins met a tall man, and the man gave them a small key. The key had a very special figure of a snake."

"The key!" I mumbled.

All of us were aware of the possible involvement of the red snake.

"But now, the leader said, "we can start searching in the couple's house, specifically the woman's room. We might find some clues there. Also, we must find which twin was outside the flower store."

He appointed several judges, including James, for the incident and announced, "Now dismiss!. It's almost midnight. There is an important thing to handle!"

I knew what he meant.

We went to the third floor with Ally, William, and the leader. They gave me a small cup of red liquid, which was supposedly wine in my mind so that I could fall asleep. But when I tasted it, I realized it was too sore to be wine. Suddenly, I felt my eyelids become heavy; they pulled down my eyes. First, it was dark, and then my eyes got used to the darkness. I found myself walking along an empty road. It seemed there was no one, nothing. Then suddenly I felt something following, which gave me shivers! But I did not hear any steps. I turned, but I did not find anything around.

Now I felt something below me.