Dwell

Rosilia is a young girl from England, just a few years older than Karishma, and has been serving her from a young age. Her mother served Mrs. Barclay ( Katherine's Mother) and it was her time to shine, she was devoted to Barclay's.

Her mother loved her and also loved flowers. So, she named her daughter Rosilia after Rose. This interest of hers was passed down from generation to generation which is now evident in Rosilia. She was always worried about her daughter's future as there was no girl child in Barclay's family and she could not wait until new Mrs Barclay took up the duty for her daughter to be at service. She was worried that what if they have to live separately. These worries were eating her from the inside.

One such day, Barclay's came with a young girl from India and claimed her as their adopted daughter. Carmen ( Rosilia's Mother) felt that her prayers had been answered and she trained her daughter to be a handmaiden.

~~

Rosilia was rushing towards Karishma's room to give her the letter that came for her with Barclay's stamp. She wanted to know the context of the letter. So she could prepare her mind for upcoming events and more than everything she missed her mother. It was more than three months probably and she couldn't wait to go back.

She knocks on the door and enters the room. Karishma comes out of changing sheets and looks toward her. She says while setting her dress,' Where were you? I needed your help.'

Rosilia hands the letter to her and starts knotting the strings at the back of her dress. She speaks,' This came for you!'

Karishma opens the letter and reads it silently. She sighs!

Rosilia asks while opening the gloves drawer,' Miss, What does it say?'

Karishma replies while sitting in the chair,' They have reached India after meeting with Sir James Charles. They will come to meet us and maybe we will go back or maybe they will marry me off...'

Rosilia who was excited before now gets worried. She didn't think about these possibilities. She felt bad for her maybe she was just a maid but she understood her more than anyone could!

Karishma smiles as if she was not gloomy just a moment ago and says,' We shouldn't dwell in the future! Let's head to Garden.' She goes closer to the drawer and chooses a pair of gloves.

Even though she was struggling for quite some time with all these emotions. She did the best she did at times of distress, she put on the facade of happiness. This came naturally to her!

~~

Haseena was distressed and her heart was running constantly as if something was not reachable, her father's words were not helping either, so she immersed herself in painting providing her heart solace. After all these days of hustle and bustle in the palace finally, everything was quiet and peaceful. She chose to rest for the day and hadn't left the room since morning.

She needed some time to think about the changes going to happen and marriage is one thing what if war happened then what will be Karishma's future? Will she get married in India? She doubted that before but her heart was inclined to the fact that why would they marry their daughter in India if they adore her? She was confused and couldn't stop her brain from thinking so she did painting which calmed her mind and relaxed her nerves.

She dedicated her whole day drawing them and finally, she was closer to completing it.

Neerjah knocks on the door enters, and informs,' Malika, Karishma Ji apse kuch baat krne chate hai!'

Haseena doesn't look back at her and says,' Theek hai, Hum atte hai!'

Neerjah lets Karishma enter and makes her sit on the sofa. She felt awkward waiting for her when she could just go to her as they were in the same room, a few footsteps away from each other.

After some time, Haseena enters and she meekly smiles towards her and removes her apron which Neerjay takes. She washed her hands and Neerjah left with the bowl of water.

Karishma who was lost in her thoughts,' Ahh! Why my heart is racing again? No tripping, nor excitement...Nothing. Have I acquired some kind of disease? Is My heart fine? Am I gonna die of young age?'

Haseena takes a seat on the sofa and says,' Ji, boliye.'

Karishma whose eyebrows were clashing with each other doesn't go unnoticed by Haseena. She says,' Hum woh...' She gets silent and tries to form a sentence. She was going to say something but then the door opened and Neerjah entered along with another maid with tea and cookies.

They keep it on the table and start serving them.

Haseena clears her throat and says,' Aap dono ja sakte hai.'

Karishma looked at her and felt her demeanor cold. Sometimes she is all kind and soft and then the next moment she is cold and distant. In both cases, She felt weaker in her presence somehow. She was again lost in the storm of her thoughts.

Haseena serves her the tea and gives it to her and says with a smile,' Hume yaad hai apko chai pasand nhi atti.' She gets a little sad, ' Humne sab sune tha jab aap...zor- zor se chila rhi thi.'

Karishma holds the cup in embarrassment and says,' I lost my temper that day!'

Haseena was going to sit back at her place but Karishma held her dupatta which made her turn back and she signed her to sit beside her.

Haseena sits beside her maintaining some distance.

Karishma looks at her and keeps her cup at her side. She asks,' Are you not well, My queen?'

Haseena chuckles hearing this and loosens up,' Apko aise kyu lge?'

Karishma replies,' Aap hume kuch bhi bta sakte hai!'

Haseena nods. They both get silent!

Haseena speaks,' Aap humse baat krne chate thi.'

Karishma nods and speaks,' Aaj hume chithi ayi Barclay's se.'

Haseena listens carefully and doesn't interrupt her. Karishma continues,' Shayad Hum kuch dino mai yahan se chale jaye!'

Haseena was already stuck in the storm of emotions and was walking on thin ice. She knew her departure was inevitable but actually listening from her, left her feeling helpless from all the angles of life, felt as if the last droplets of blood were flowing out.

Haseena shifts her gaze from her to a wall.

Karishma looks toward her and speaks softly,' Hum dost hai na?'

Haseena barely nods while holding back her tears. Karishma instantly keeps her head on her shoulder, half hugging her. This sudden movement made her tears fall and she closed her eyes.

Karishma whispers,' I do not wish to leave.'

Haseena while controlling her emotions, rubs her back. As she rubs her back, Karishma snuggles closer and hides herself in her embrace.