Chapter 2

Lyric Amari Diaz

Lyric Amari Diaz

I got dressed and left Ty's house feeling extremely annoyed. I had left Jay's house to get some dick but I should've known it'd come with an argument. I get into my Benz and went home to shower. I thought about texting Jay but something in my gut told me she was mad at me so I refrained from causing any problems. I listened to Summer Walker on my way home taking the long way as I watched the sun rise. I rested my eyes as a red light until my phone notified me. My cousin Jackson had texted me . The car behind me honked as I read the message

Cuzzo- Grand Rising baby cuzn why is Jay at work lookin like she ready to kill someone?
Me- I don't know she seemed fine when I left this morning.

I shrugged it off. Jackson and Jay worked together at JS Welding Services and were very familiar with each other. They hung out often without me so it was not out of the ordinary for him to mention her. I pulled into my parking spot and rushed up the stairs to my apartment to shower. I was met with my yorkie Daij at the door. I locked the door and picked her up and gave her attention and fed her before stripping my clothes off and walking to the bathroom. I started my shower and put music on. My shower was quick and by 10AM I was ready for the day. I drove to get breakfast from First Watch but as I wanted for my mobile order my phone rang. It was Jackson. He's not a caller so I answered hoping there was not a death or anything bad happening.

"Hello?" My phone was connected to the car speaker so his erratic voice was shaking the mirror. I winced at the volume and turned it down significantly.

"Jay goin to jail she done fought this nigga that kept talkin' about her moms. I kept tryna tell her chill but she wasn't goin' for it." I grabbed my Mobile order and left.

"I don't know what to tell her she can't fight everybody." I shrugged. This is Jay's second time in jail this year and it's only May. I was frustrated to say the least because she calls me any time something happens and I would never not show up but saying shes hard headed is an understatement.

"She said she got bond money at the crib and you got a key something's about a safe only you and her know the password t—"

"Yeah yeah I got it thanks Jackson" I rolled my eyes driving to her apartment.

"Aight lil cousin don't be too hard on bro that nigga said everything in the book to get himself killed by someone's child." He informed me and I shrugged. It didn't matter to me words mean nothing and she shouldn't let them get to her like that. Jackson told me he loved me and ended the call. It only took me 20 minutes to get to Jay's apartment. The safe was kept in her closet, as I made my way into the apartment and to her room I saw a black notebook on her bed. It can't be a journal Jay has never been the writing type. I was beyond curious so I picked it up and sat on the bed. As I flipped through the pages they were filled with chicken scratch and pictures. The last written page had yesterday's date. She must have write this before I came over.

It doesn't matter how much I try I can't get the feeling out of my head or heart. Lyric is nothing less and nothing more than my best friend and I wouldn't want it any other way so why do I get so jealous and angry over her?

I stopped before I even touched the half page mark. So far this seemed like a journal entry that could change the way things are and I didn't want that. My heart pounded out of my chest and I retrieved the rubber banded stacks of cash from the safe. My ears rung as I made my way out of the apartment making sure to lock the door on the way out. I wondered if Jay had feelings for me, I thought about all of the times I thought I had imagined the jealousy on her face. I thought about this morning when I left. Was she upset? Jealous? I wouldn't know because I was indulged in my own plans. I realized I had drove 30 minutes to the jail Jackson sent me in silence pondering about what I read. I tried to push the journal out of my mind as I arrived at the jail but my heart was beating ever harder knowing I was about to look her in the eyes after reading what I read.