Chapter 12

Lyric Amari Diaz

Lyric Amari Diaz

I woke up to music blasting and Jay making food. The bedroom door was close and I assumed that was her attempt at not waking me. I drug myself out of bed, I had on a pair of panties and Jays shirt that she had left over here a while ago. I excused myself from the bedroom and found her in the kitchen in a sport bra and boxers making waffles and turkey bacon. Jay doesn't eat pork and neither do I and she makes turkey bacon the best.

Girl, when we make love all night
When we make good love all night
When we make love all night
We really make love

She sang as she filled the waffle maker.

"Good morning." I spoke softly and she turned and smiled at me.

"Morning." She said removing the wood from between her lips. "How'd you sleep?" She asked me.

"Just as good as the last time you fucked me pooh." She chuckled as I spoke. "My head hurts really bad though." I winced at the throbbing sensation. She went above the stove and pulled down a bottle of ibuprofen and made me a cup of water before bring both to me them flipping the waffle maker. "Thank you." I mumbled taking the medicine and finishing the water. I approached Jay and put my hand on her low back. "Can I have a kiss or we back to being besties again?" I asked her. I loved kissing Jay, her lips were soft and she was gentle. She acted as if I was fragile and delicate when we kissed but she acted as if I was unbreakable in the bedroom. She leaned down and pecked my lips three times before wrapping an arm around me pulling me closer as she cooked. She put the wood out and started making plates as I sat at the table.

"Apple juice, orange juice, or water love." She asked me.

"Orange juice please boo." She brought me a plate with a waffle that had blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, and raspberries on top. There was 2 slices of turkey bacon on the side as well. She then brought me a cup of orange juice and a bowl of mango. "Damn Jay you know I'm little." I told her in awe of how much she had brought me.

"You ain't gotta eat it all." She said bringing her plate over. "And the mango is for us to share." She sat down across from me and said grace. "Our Father who art in heaven, Hallowed be thy Name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, On earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses, As we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, But deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever and ever Amen." I closed out prayer with her and we ate. I loved how close Jay was with Yahweh, it encourages me to stay on path with him as well. As we ate we discussed plans for the day. Jay had to work later and I was going to get ready for work after breakfast. Once we were done I tried to wash the dishes but Jay didn't let me. "I got it ma." She took the dirty dishes from my hands and began cleaning them. I went and made my bed and straightened up. When I came back out the kitchen was pretty much clean. Jay approached me slowly. "I'm going to go thank you for having me." She told me wrapping her arms around my neck kissing the top of my head. My bottomed lip stuck out as I pouted. I loved spending time with Jay but I knew it was unrealistic to be together all the time. I wanted to keep the our own individual lives. I know what happens when you get used to being around someone 24/7 especially someone who always made you feel good. It's not something I wanted for her or myself. I reached up and kissed Jay over and over as she held me. We had always been affectionate but I had never seen this soft gentle side of her. She was aggressive to everyone around her for the most part even jokingly. She picked me up and I wrapped my legs around her waist and she rocked me side to side kissing me. I felt that heartbeat come and tried to ignore it. She let me down again. "I gotta go ma." She mumbled against my lips. I nodded and she turned around to leave. Our eyes connected one more time before I closed and locked the door. I went and picked out a clean set of purple scrubs, panties, socks a bra and some gold necklaces. I showered last night so I just freshened up and changed. I washed my face and brushed my teeth before doing anything. I got dressed next and I did my hair last. I just did a simple half up half down with a butterfly clip. Once I was ready I made myself coffee and drank a glass of water while I waited. I filled up my water bottle waiting for the coffee to finish then made my cup. I spent the next hour drinking my coffee praying and reading my bible before I went to work. It was part of my daily routine and I slacked often but set it as a goal to do it every day I work at least.

————————————————————

"Good morning Mariam." I clocked in after my coworker. We spoke briefly before getting our unit assignments. I had my regular kids plus a new kid. I'm a Registered Nurse at the children's hospital in my city. I work long hours but just had 3 days off due to a mix up in the scheduling. I took it to take time to myself but now I'm back to my grind. The kid on my first stop of what I refer too as the hello wagon, where I go and stop at every kid with a wagon and they pick an activity to do from the wagon, was Draelyn. Draeyln was 7 years old and had cancer. He was given 4 months to live and will go home to rest peacefully in two more weeks. "Good Morning Drae." I greeted him by his nickname. He stood up on the bed with the biggest smile on his face and engulfed me.

"Ms. Lyric!" He yelled. "You've been gone for so long I checked the days it was 3 days I didn't see you where were you?" Drae ranted away.

"I had a couple days off I'm back now though." I sat in the edge of his bed as he plopped down. "How have you been, what did you do what I was gone?" I asked him. He ranted on and on about how he watched the new marvel movie. He also told me about how he had an emergency in the middle of the night. My heart ached for the child he wanted to be and for the child he was. He was a sweet smart soul and deserved a lifetime of happiness but instead he was struck with a life of unfortunate events.

"Lyric will you pray with me? My mom said when I'm scared I can talk to Allah and he was comfort me." Drae and I believed in different things but I had never heard him ask to pray with me. I've heard him praying on his own many times before he was very intelligent and wise for his age you would've thought he was 70 the way he held an educated conversation with ease. I nodded at him. "I'll start." He bowed his head and closed his eyes before praying for strength and health. "Now you go."

"Allah I ask that you touch Draelyn with your hands for he deserves endless  affection. He has followed you faithfully throughout his battle and has never lost sight of you. He is devoted to your love and power. I ask that you watch over him and his family and give them the strength they need to join Drae in this battle of cancer. Thank you Father for all you've done and the many blessing you'd rained upon us. We love you and praise you unconditionally. Amen"

"Amen." Drae wrapped his arms around my neck. "Now can I pick from the hello wagon?" He jumped up and down on his knees excitedly before picking a new fidget toy I had brought today. Drae and I agreed to talk later before I moved on with the wagon.