In which they're both 'fine' (16)

Aru touched up her lipstick. She wore a shortish black one piece dress that came up to her knees and cinched at the waist. The sleeves were frilly and there were gold highlights in the dress. She wore black sandals that had platforms, and wore gold necklaces and rings, just to seem fancier.

The makeup wasn't anything too much. She had eyeliner, some lipstick and curled her lashes. But even so, it was the prettiest she'd ever been.

Aru took a bag and stuffed the invitation in it. She stepped out of the room.

Aiden was on his phone, distracted. Aru was thankful for that, as if he saw her face at that moment, he wouldn't be able to distinguish her from a tomato.

He wore a black collared shirt and black formal pants with a grey belt. The shirt had flecks and highlights of a dark, metallic green. His hair was messy as ever, but...a hot kind of messy?

The clothes were tailored by Sheela's twin, Nikita, who was a famous tailor. Famous in the agency, anyway. She worked exclusively for the agency.

Did she...match the style on purpose?

She suddenly remembered she'd call Mini before she went out. Aru held her phone to her ear.

She cleared her throat to announce her presence. Aiden looked up. His eyes widened.

"Mini? Yeah," Aru answered, looking away. His eyes stared still, so much so she could sense it.

"Aru? You're leaving?" Mini replied.

Aru's eyes wandered back to Aiden. She raised her eyebrows in question. He looked away.

"Yeah, I'm leaving. Inform the HQ, will you?"

"Yeah, of course. Stay safe, girl."

"You know me," Aru smiled. "I have two knives and a gun. I'll be fine."

"I know. Love you."

"Love you too, Min."

As she pocketed her phone, she looked at Aiden with her raised eyebrows. "Well? How do I look, then?"

He looked away, swallowing. Aru knew. She knew what he thought. But she wanted to hear it.

"You look..." Aiden glanced at her. "Fine."

She kept a neutral face even though her stomach hurt. "Personally, I think I look great. You look fine too, I guess."

Aru didn't wait to see his reaction as she walked out the door. "Come on, catch up. Challo."

————

The party was trash.

Aru and Aiden walked through the entrance. Girls jaws dropped at the sight of Aiden. Aru was even sure some people had turned their heads to look at her. But she didn't care. She was here for a reason, and she was going to get it done.

Aiden noticed the stares and walked to the front, bumping her shoulder slightly. Aru stopped in confusion. He looked back, stretching out his hand and smiling.

"Coming?"

This is his way of showing we came here together, huh? She thought.

It didn't mean anything, but why did her insides swirl at that smile?

She took the hand anyway, ignoring all other thoughts. He led them out of the crowd, to a quieter place.

"What's the plan?" He asked.

Aru looked around. People were dignified, humble and elegant. But Aru knew for a fact they were all probably cheating on each other. That's how power works.

"We split up?" Aru looked back at him. "You do whatever that smolder thing is. I'll sit over there, waiting for you to come back."

"Wouldn't that look like I'm cheating?"

"That's the point," Aru replied. "I don't know if I'm correct, but all these people over here are probably all cheating on each other. Just fit in."

"So," Aiden fidgeted with his fingers. "I have to use smolder."

"If you can," Aru added quickly. "Otherwise, we can-"

"No, that's okay," Aiden got up. "I can do that. You'll be near the bar table, right? I'll come find you when I'm done."

"Okay."

Aru sat in a chair, next to the bar table. The bartender asked if she wanted anything, but she politely refused. She did give him a tip, though, as he was polite.

It was a matter of minutes before someone sat next to her.

Why would he sit next to me when there's so many chairs free?

Aru mentally noted that.

When she got a better look at his face, she didn't know why, but a sense of familiarity washed over her.

Her first mistake was she let her guard down.

"Hello, young lady. I haven't seen you around the TWOS before. First time?" He smiled.

Aru stayed quiet.

"Who's your other? I don't see anyone else around you."

"He's going to the washroom. He'll be back," She replied.

"Oh, are you sure? Everyone says that and goes and gets with someone else," He grinned. "It's the way things work around here."

"I got the invite, not him. He wouldn't do that."

"You sure?" He didn't wait for her answer before saying, "Of course they wouldn't. Who would cheat on a beauty like you?"

Aru looked away. She took her bag in her hands.

"Even your voice," He said. "Is lovely."

Is he drunk?

"And your facial features," Aru hadn't noticed his thumb come to touch her lip, but she felt it. "Are beautiful."

Aru got up quickly. She nodded in politeness and turned to leave. Her lips felt dry and her throat felt thick. She licked her lips.

And then the world collapsed, along with her.

sorry guys 😔 </3

dw nothing tragic happens to her other than getting kidnapped (no promises :p)

anyways how was the chapter?

-Loife xx