Dear Tintreach. (24)

ARU WAS slacking off.

She felt evil for doing so, considering everyone was depending on this case, but she had little leads and she was tired.

She liked Rudy's Instagram post of him and Mini at a cafe and replied, "ay min min whatcha doing not at the hospital what if I faint?"

Mini replied with a simple "Drink water."

Aru smiled despite herself being miserable. At least someone was having fun.

Now that she was alone with her thoughts, she didn't have to worry about Aiden seeing completely nothing on her face but still finding out there was something wrong. She did need to talk to someone, she realised, but maybe it would help more if she organised her own thoughts first.

If I was the Sleeper, where would I be? She thought. She pushed the thought that said 'in a bed' away from her.

Instead, another word—or a sentence—made its way into her head.

You're being hoodwinked.

All of a sudden, the doorbell rang. She typed to her work partner, "someone rang the doorbell. going to see what it is"

His response was immediate. "Tell me the findings."

They'd recently decided that they'd tell each other when someone rang, in case it was a clue, like the invitation. And they'd been getting good at telling each other about stuff. Maybe, just maybe, this was someone she could get close with.

Reaching the door, Aru took the knife from the kitchen just in case. Then, she opened the door.

The knife raised up in the flash of light, ready to strike the enemy but then-

Aru scanned the hallway.

No one was there.

She knew the movie protocol. Someone would either jump up from behind you or the moment you turn back...

Aru shook herself. She was the Aru Shah! Detective Foudre! Nothing would-

Those thoughts vanished as she saw what was on the ground.

A paper, stained with blood. Not just splattered in blood. Written with blood, two words adorned the it;

Dear Tintreach.

And attached to it, a photo of a girl.

————

Aiden was getting anxious by the moment. First, normally it doesn't take ten minutes for someone to check the door and tell the findings. Second, his second message wasn't even read. And that had to mean something.

Either Aru was hiding it from him or she was attacked.

"I have to go, Brynne," He said standing up. She nodded at him, busy on her phone. Aiden raised an eyebrow at that but left.

Almost as soon as he left the apartment, Mini called him.

"What's up?"

"Where are you?"

Aiden frowned. It wasn't like her to cut to the chase like that. "Why, what happened? I'm at Brynne's."

He could hear her inhale slowly before replying, "I think you should come to the hospital. Like, right now."

She hesitated before adding, "Aru's passed out."

Aiden didn't know whether he wanted to cry, sigh, or pass out himself. "Again? I'm coming."

"Please do. There's something concerning. And it's not because of poison, surprisingly. And...and there's a clue."

Aiden wasn't sure if he was happy about the clue or worried about Shah, but both made him speed over to the hospital.

When he got there, Mini seemed upset as she sat next to a hospital bed. "Come in. See the clue first, then I'll leave for a bit. She seems fine but we have no idea what caused this."

He took the photo from her. His eyes widened. "I've seen this girl somewhere."

"You have?"

The girl...was beautiful. She was caught with a crease between her eyebrows, but that didn't deter her beauty one bit. She had big eyes, lined with thick and dark lashes. Her mouth was wide in a grimace. Her hair was around shoulder length and was thick, sleek and straight, some of it straying into her face.

Sometimes Aiden was glad he took Shadowfax everywhere because now, it turned out to be the most crucial thing in the investigation. He scrolled through before finding the picture.

It was the picture he took right before the investigation, the day before he met Aru, at sunset. There was a girl that made her way into the picture, somehow topping off the dreaminess.

"This is her, right?"

Mini glanced between the photos. "It looks that way."

She moved closer to get a better look, which showed him Aru. The smile he had from finally finding something faded quickly and he grew pale. "She doesn't look so good."

"She doesn't, but her vitals are good. Which is a surprise, since she was almost dead every time she was brought here. Her brain, however, seems disturbed." Mini got up, dusting herself off. "I'll be right back."

Leaving him alone, Aiden sat on the stool next to her.

Mini came to check up a couple times. She placed a hand on Aru's forehead and told him, "She'll be waking up soon. Anywhere from five to twenty-five minutes—and when she does, you don't have to call us. I have a feeling you guys will have a lot to talk about."

She left the room, patting him on the shoulder. And true to her word, Aru woke up 18 minutes later.

Aiden felt a rush in his chest, something he couldn't describe, as she clutched her head and sat up.

He raised an eyebrow, "Care to explain?"

Aru turned to him, stared him in the eye for a good minute before replying, "My memories are back."

ooooh

so like the action is back just like Aru's memories lmao 😭 also sorry not sorry for making aru pass out for like the 3rd time she won't die I promise (hehe) (no she actually won't die im not that cruel)

how was the chapter?

-Loife xx