Four letters. Love. Yeah, no. (22)

This wasn't normal.

Aru didn't exactly know what normal was, that's for sure, but Aru knew Aiden's normal and he wasn't normal.

Ever since 2 days ago, he hadn't greeted her, talked to her or even looked in her direction.

And if Aru tried, he'd just kind of nod.

"So. Let's try to move along the investigation," Aru said. "I interviewed Kristen and he said the Harriet Bar was a common place."

"You interviewed Kristen?" Aiden asked.

"Yes," Aru raised her eyebrows. "And I told you that too. Yesterday."

"Oh."

"Are you okay? You seem," Aru looked him in the eye. "Distant."

"I'm fine," He got up, looking away. "Just...don't talk to me for sometime."

Aru felt a pang of hurt come at her like a shockwave. What had she done wrong? She was being normal as far as she was concerned. Or maybe that was the problem; she didn't realise the problem. But Aru wasn't going to let that hurt stop her in the investigation. "Fine."

————

"I have a plan. Not that you care," Aru smoothed out her hair. She wore fancier clothes this time. An off white shirt with balloon sleeves, tucked in to a black skirt with hints of gold that came up to just above her knees. She wore knee length black boots that had platforms and had curled her hair, and even wore jewellery.

"What are you doing?" Aiden narrowed his eyes.

"Harriet Bar," Aru said. "You probably don't remember, but I mentioned it to you a day ago. I'm going. You can stay here if you'd like. I really don't care."

Aiden said nothing, so she turned to leave. At the last moment, he caught her shoulder.

"Wait for a second. I'll go get changed."

"Don't come."

"I can't risk you getting hurt again."

Aru searched his eyes. "Not that you care, do you?"

After a moment, two or maybe three, Aiden looked back at her. "What do you want me to say to that?"

They stood there for a while, Aiden's left hand on her left shoulder. Then, Aru swallowed and said, "Go get changed. We don't have all day."

————

"No splitting up, okay?" Aiden told her when they arrived.

"Yeah yeah," Aru said. "Let's go find the person first. Darrien Kamanshu. 24 year old male."

"Is that him?" Aiden asked, looking at someone on the chairs.

"That was quick. You sit over there."

"No."

"Go get a drink or something," Aru said. "Have fun, we're at a bar. We barely get breaks like this while we're on a case."

"Yeah but-"

"Go. I'll be fine," Aru replied. "Plus, it's not even that far. Just 7 steps away. I'll call if I need help, hm? Go."

"Fine," He said. "Stay safe."

"You too. Don't drink too much."

"Please. I won't."

Aru sat next to Darrien. "Hello, there."

He looked at her. "Do you need something?"

"Your number, perhaps."

Darrien smiled. "Have we met before? My name is Darrien. Nice to meet you."

"Astana Sanjay," Aru said, shaking his hand.

"I don't go around giving my number, though. You'll have to get closer for that."

Aru saw Aiden in the corner of her eye speaking to someone. The person poured a drink into the glass in front of him and Aiden frowned at it. She focused on Darrien and said, "Oh? What a tough guy you are. Bartender!"

————

"Solis," Darrien mumbled drunkenly. "You mean his daughter? Yeah...hic...she's his daughtress or something."

"Daughter?" Aru noted it. "Anything else about Solis?"

"No."

"Thank you. You're wonderful." Aru said. She called the agents to take him away.

"What is this?" Darrien asked.

"Just...a prize. For your work," Aru smiled. "I'll see you later, Rien."

"Yeah..."

Aru left to find Aiden.

"Shah."

Aru's head snapped to the velvety voice. "Aiden? Yeah, let's go."

"Shah," Aiden repeated, drawing out the last syllable. Aru's eyebrows drew together in confusion. She walked closer and smelled...alcohol.

She facepalmed. "Don't tell me."

"I didn't mean to."

"Are you drunk?"

"Maybe," His head fell back onto the couch chair.

"Come on," Aru replied, pulling his arm.

"Why?"

"Why? Because we don't have time. Let's go."

"Not that," Aiden said, closing his eyes. "Why were you talking...to that...thing."

"You don't know what you're saying," Aru pulled him up. "Come on."

"Don't go, okay?"

Aru softened a bit at that. She felt fluttery feelings all over as she replied, slowly and quietly. "I'm not going anywhere."

"Not just now," he replied. Aiden almost fell, but Aru pulled him back up again, wrapping his arm around her shoulder to secure him. "Ever."

"Huh?"

"Don't leave, ever."

"Do you mean 'don't ever leave'?"

"Whatever. Never leave."

"What's the magic word?"

"Something I can't say."

"Come on, you could say please."

"That's not the magic word. The magic word is a four letter word and is more powerful than anything else in this world." Was that what he said? Aru could only catch bits because he took a lot of breaks in that sentence. And he was mumbling the entire time.

"What?"

Aiden swallowed. "And it's something I have for you."

Aru looked up at him. "Let's get you out of here, shall we?"

"Fine."

Aru knew the word couldn't be love, since he didn't have that for her, but it still came to mind. And hobbling out of Harriet Bar that night only made it seem more apparent.

She'd fallen in love for the first time.

yeah yeah it's rushed 😭 whatever atp

so, let's talk about plans I have for this. It's chapter 21. I have about 9 more chapters I have in store for you guys, then epilogue and bonus chapter. the investigation seems like it's barely going on but trust me, in a couple chapters you'll see the light.

anyways.

how was the chap?

-Loife xx