chapter 06; feelings

"You dare talk to your father like that?"

"You're not my father. Fuck off."

Sunghoon's father, consumed by rage, lashed out with a forceful slap that sent Sunghoon tumbling to the ground. Panic gripped Sunghoon's mother, rushing to check on her son's well-being amidst the chaos.

The new wife, displaying a disinterested sigh, suggested to Sunghoon's father, "My love, we should leave. I don't want to stay longer in this small and dirty house."

Sunghoon, seething with anger and nursing the sting from his father's blow, watched them depart. The door closed behind them, leaving Sunghoon and his mother in the aftermath of the emotional storm.

Sunghoon's mother sat down on a sofa, and Sunghoon rests his head on her lap. Tenderly, his mother's hands traced over the cheek that bore the mark of his father's anger. Sunghoon, while nursing the physical and emotional wounds, found a measure of comfort in the warmth and reassurance his mother gave.

A soft smile graced Sunghoon's mother's lips as she looked down at her resilient son. "I like how brave you are," she whispered, her fingers continuing to gently rub his cheek. "You're determined to protect your loved ones, just like you did today."

Sunghoon remained silent, absorbing the unspoken affirmation from his mother. Sunghoon got up suddenly, startling his mother a little.

"I'm not a kid anymore, mom. Why did I lay down on your lap... I-i shouldn't have—"

"Do whatever you want that gives you comfort, Sunghoon."

Sunghoon looked down slowly, even if his face doesn't show it, he appreciates the comfort his mother gives him.

As Sunghoon walked through the school halls, he saw Jihoon and his friends bullying Sunoo again.

"Aww... Someone got hurt," Jihoon says jokingly.

"Deserved."

Seeing Sunoo just stand there and stare blankly at the floor angered Sunghoon. Swiftly, he approached the scene.

Taking Sunoo away from Jihoon and his group, Sunghoon guided him away from the mocking crowd. However, Jihoon and his friends couldn't resist throwing jeers after them, labeling them as a husbands and mocking their closeness.

Sunghoon didn't care, he focused on supporting Sunoo, wanting to shield him from the cruelty he had suffered.

In the classroom, Sunoo is surrounded by concerned friends, all girls, questioning why he has bruises and bandages. Sunoo stayed silent, trying to think of a reason because he didn't want to tell the truth.

Suddenly, Sunghoon approached Sunoo's desk. "Sunoo, want to go to the–"

However, he was cut off by one of the girls who accused Sunghoon, saying, "Stay away! You hurt him, didn't you?"

Others chimed in, expressing disbelief that Sunoo would still associate with Sunghoon after the board eraser incident.

Sunoo attempted to deny any wrongdoing, but another girl intervened, yelling out, "Leave!"