chapter 11; hidden

Sunoo sat across from his father, his eyes fixed on the floor, an empty expression on his face. The room felt tense, and Sunoo's mother, sitting beside him, struggled to hold back tears.

His father's harsh words cut through the silence, "You're pathetic. You don't deserve to be my son."

Sunoo stayed silent, absorbing the verbal blows without showing any emotion.

"Dear! Your son almost died... Don't you even care!?"

"Why would I!? He's a selfish self-centered brat who brings nothing but disappointment!" Sunoo's father yelled out.

Sunoo's mother, tears welling up, broke down at her husband's cruel words. Sunoo, however, remained surprisingly calm.

"I'm sorry, dad. I'm selfish self-centered brat. But honestly... You made me this way."

Sunoo's mother sat by the bathtub, watching as her son submerged himself in the cold water, trying to relief the pain of the bruises inflicted by his father.

Her face filled with pity, Sunoo's mother observed him closely. "I wish you didn't have to endure this...," she sighed, her voice filled with concern.

Sunoo winced slightly but managed a feeble smile. "It's okay, Eomma. I'll be fine."

Tears welled up in his mother's eyes, emotions too deep to conceal. "You've just come home from the hospital, and now you're in pain again. It's not fair."

"They'll heal fast, Eomma."

Sunoo's mother looked at the ground as tears fall from her face. "I hate seeing you like this, you deserve so much better."

Sunoo stared blankly at the ceiling for a moment before turning his gaze to his mother. With a weak, tired voice, he asked, "Eomma, am I really selfish and self-centered?"

His mother's eyes widened, a mix of sadness and disbelief in her own. She immediately shook her head, dispelling any notion of such thoughts. "No, Sunoo, you're not. You're kind, caring, and far from selfish. Don't let anyone make you believe otherwise."

Sunoo lets out a shaky sigh before closing his eyes, resting inside the bathtub and letting his bruises heal.

Gyeongbuk Highschool

Sunoo, with teary eyes, approached Sunghoon Concern etched on Sunghoon's face as he observed his friend. "Sunoo, what happened? Why are your eyes teary? And you spent so long at the library, are you okay?" Sunghoon asked.

"Why is our life so pitiful?" Sunoo asked as he cried.

Sunghoon's smile faded, replaced by a somber expression. He paused for a moment before walking closer towards Sunoo and hugging him tight.

Sunghoon felt like crying, but he held it. He didn't want to cry anymore.

Sunoo and Sunghoon sat on a quiet bench, looking at students on the field as the afternoon sun cast a warm glow. Sunoo, munching on a bungeoppang, broke the comfortable silence. "Hey, Hoon, can I ask you something?"

Sunghoon turned to him, a curious look in his eyes. "Sure."

Sunoo hesitated for a moment before asking, "When we hugged earlier, you were shaking. Why?"