~Chapter XI: Lady Elizabeth Midford~

"I--! I...do so wish I could have stayed cute in front of you...till the very end, Ciel..."
She smiled sadly. Ciel screamed.
"LIZZIE!!!"
Lady Elizabeth swiftly stood up, stabbing a zombie in the head with a fencing blade. Malice's eyes widened in shock. Elizabeth growled, lowly, glaring at the zombies. Quicker than light, Elizabeth skillfully fended off the zombies, killing them all in seconds. Ciel trembled, two zombies closing in on him from behind. Elizabeth swiftly rushed over, skewering their heads. As she stood over Ciel, she clenched her teeth.
"Th-This ugly side of me...I wanted to do everything in my power to keep you from having to see it...But...This time...I will protect you!"
Tears rolled down her cheeks, the zombies crashed to the floor. From behind Elizabeth, zombies growled. She swiftly whisked around.
"I am daughter of Alexis Leon Midford, Marquess of Midford and Head of the Order of the Devildom! I am Elizabeth! Ex-fiancé of the Demon King's Watchdog!"

What are little girls made of?
"Sugar and spice,
and all that's nice;
And that's what little
girls are made of."

Elizabeth sat having a tea party with her two friends, when she was only six, and her Aunt Madam Red.
"A lady," Madam Red winked," Should always be delicate and lovely before a gentleman. An innocent girl first and foremost. Her job is to be surrounded by all nice things and keep smiling."
Madam Red glanced over sadly, at her older sister, brother in law and Nephew. Vincent Phantomhive, that was who she was supposed to have married as the eldest. But instead, her sister had made him fall for her. And had a son. Not only had Madam Red lost Vincent Phantomhive, but in one terrible accident she'd lost her own unborn child and husband.
"So..." Madam Red turned back to Elizabeth, resting her hand on her niece's hair, fondly," Stay like that for as long as you possibly can."
"I will!" Elizabeth giggled.

Poetry over philosophy.
Embroidery over cooking.
Dancing over chess.
Be an angel who knows nothing.
That is how girls are born into a nation of roses are raised.

I was just like that too.
"Elizabeth!" Lady Midford snapped, walking over, sternly," It is time."
But, I stood apart from other girls in one respect.

Young Earl Grey and Phipps watched as two people in their class fenced.
"So," Earl Phipps frowned," That is the son of the Marquess of Midford, who is rumoured to be a genius with swords?"
"Hunh?" Earl Grey raised an eyebrow," What are you saying, Phipps?"
The Midford fighter won the match, their opponent on their knees. They took off the fencing hat, gently. Earl Phipps gasped, watching blonde, wavy ponytails tumble out with feminine features.
"The genius is the daughter."
Elizabeth glared down at the floor, sadly.

What I danced at various halls was not the waltz.

Ciel whined, tumbling softly to the floor.
"Your advance is weak, Ciel!" Lady Midford snapped, as the boy sniffled," But, very well. That's enough for today."
Lady Midford stormed away, so Elizabeth hurried over to her cousin, with a towel.
"Uhhh..." Ciel whined," She was scary!"
"Mother is very strict!"
Ciel sighed," Aunt Francis is a beautiful lady, but...if my wife was that strong...I think I would be frightened of her."
Elizabeth froze, teary eyed, her heart thumping. Ciel smiled.
"I'm so glad it's you who will be my bride, Lizzie!"
My dear, adorable cousin was supposed to be my husband, per tradition. He was younger than me by a year. That's when I made a vow. I would become a bride Ciel could protect.

"No!" Elizabeth whined," Noo! I said no!"
A loud slap filled the silence. Lady Midford seethed, scowling.
"You are a girl who is going to marry into the House of Phantomhive! You will not be allowed to neglect your training!"
Elizabeth rubbed her sore cheek, teary eyed, sniffling," I won't practice fencing anymore! Swords aren't cute at all!"
Lady Midford dropped to her knees, scooping her daughter into her arms.
"Even if you do find it trying," She whispered, running a hand through Elizabeth's hair," It's for your sake and his..."
Elizabeth sobbed, clinging onto her.

But that day...

"Lady Elizabeth!" The maid rushed in," The Phantomhive family has been-!"

It was my dream to become a lovely wife, who would be protected by Ciel. But that dream was never to come true.

Elizabeth stared at the graves, sniffling as a few woman gossiped.
"Ladies, have you heard?"
"The horrific slaughter of the Phantomhive family!"
"In all likelihood, they must have raised someone's ire, no?"
"Gracious, how frightful!"
"By the way, it seems Lady Ashley has herself yet another lover."
"My...she is quite energetic."

In jet-black weeds, and in the jet-blackest of moods, a bleak jet-black winter month passed. And then...Ciel suddenly returned... with a butler clothed black as jet.

Elizabeth cried, wrapping her arms around her frail fiancé," I can't believe my eyes! It really is you, isn't it, Ciel!?"
Ciel's lips slightly parted, his arms shakily touching her back.
"I'm back... Elizabeth..."
Elizabeth froze.
The Ciel who came back to me was thinner and smaller than I. But soon I realised something. Ciel hadn't become smaller. It was I who had grown bigger. And so, I made a new vow. I would become a bride who could protect Ciel. But...I really would rather be cute.

"Look, Paula!" Elizabeth held out high heeled shoes to her maid," Aren't these just the cutest?! Father bought them for me as a reward for winning my fencing bout! I think I'll wear them today, since I'm going out with Ciel!"
"My, my!" Paula giggled, clapping her hands," How wonderful!"
Elizabeth stood in front of a mirror, as Paula fastened her corset.
"Oh..." Paula hummed," Lady Lizzie, have you gotten a bit taller again?"
Elizabeth froze, glancing down in horror.
"Ah!" Paula covered her mouth," I--! I do beg your pardon! You are still lovely and adorable even if you have grown, My Lady!"
Elizabeth sighed," I won't be wearing my new shoes today..."
"But?"
"Leave it. Just get me a pair with low heels, Paula."

Whilst walking with Ciel and Sebastian, Elizabeth glumly watched as girls her age passed.
Girls my age all wear cute high heels, but...
Ciel raised an eyebrow, turning back to see why Elizabeth was straying behind. Elizabeth hugged him, giggling pretending it was nothing.

For the sake of Ciel, who is pushing himself to grow up fast...I wear my childish, low-heeled shoes and smile beside him.

One day, Ciel left and then broke up with me. He said he no longer liked the old-fashioned way, and found no joy following some 'arbitrary rules'. He admitted to not loving me...but the truth is Ciel, though arranged, I really did love you. You returned with a boy, your new fiancé, Alois Trancy. And I hate that I liked him. Alois was perfect for you, in every little way. And so...I made my last and final vow. Protect Ciel, to show him I still care, even if he does not.

Low heeled shoes...

...Mother's lessons...

... swords with which to protect you...

...And a broken heart...

That...is what I am made of!