No, we're friends.

February 1996, Woodsboro, CA

When I was 7 I was moved schools because I had 'struggled' to make friends, although truthfully I had never even tried. So on the first day at my new school I continued as I had done, I didn't talk and I kept away from the other children. It was natural. When it came to recess I went and sat by myself under a tree, I didn't even try to make friends. I didn't need to. But this boy came over, he was taller than all the other children with blonde scruffy hair and deep blue eyes. He walked into the shade of the tree that I sat under and said "Can I sit with you?" I didn't reply. I didn't look up. I kept looking ahead, hoping he would go away like everyone else did when my presence inevitably made them uncomfortable but he didn't. Instead, he crossed his lanky legs and sat next to me, not saying a word. He bored easily and eventually used a stick to draw in the dirt, I would catch him looking over at me to see if I was impressed or something. Like a dog when it's caught a stick. I continued to ignore him for the next two days until on the third day after the bell went and I followed out all the other kids to the playground then started walking over to the tree I had chosen when I realised the blonde boy was following right behind me. I sat down and so did he, as if he was my shadow. I was baffled that he hadn't just avoided me like everyone else had always done so I asked him "Why do you want to sit with me?" I looked at him properly for the first time, he looked into my eyes and it was like a light turned on as his face lit up, in every sense of the word. He smiled, the most sincere smile I have ever seen not like the fake ones I was used to from my family and he said "I wanna be friends" and that's how I met Stu Macher.

The day after and every day after that the blonde boy sat with me in the shade and we would talk. Eventually he asked if we could play after school to my parents delight, soon enough we were together every moment of school and after. He made me seem more normal to the other kids, his lightness subdued my darkness and made it easier for others to accept me although I really didn't want them to. It just made school easier, it made my home life easier as my parents stopped thinking something was wrong with me.

I could play the part of a normal kid, well when I was in public. When Stu and I were alone it was a different matter.

A year after meeting he introduced me to his bone collection which he kept in the garage. Hundreds of little white bones, which he had delicately wrapped in a cloth and hid under a workbench. He told me he only kept the small ones as his parents found a skull in the attic and freaked. We both giggled. I'll never forget when he took me out to the forest behind his home and showed me a racoon carcass he had found, he had already taken some of the bones which were exposed from the decomposition. He looked nervous as we approached the corpse, his eyes shifting from me to the body. I stepped closer to it and knelt down so I could have a proper look, I used a stick to poke at the discoloured flesh. "You're not gonna tell on me, are you?" Stu whispered from behind, I looked back at him "No, we're friends" and the rest is history.

As we got a little older we would watch horror films that we had stolen from Stu's sister room, we got so obsessed with them we ended up trying to recreate our own movies, it was as if it was the only way we could express the darkness we both had in us, without doing something that would get us both in serious trouble. But the older we got, the less all these things satisfied us, I didn't realise how much the darkness had encompassed the blonde boy too. The darkness was all consuming.

It wanted more

I gave it more.

Now we're here and there's no going back.

I was always afraid of ruining Stu, possessing him almost. That's why I hid that part of me from him for so long, how idiotic of me. The reason that blonde boy walked up to me that first day was because we were the same, I understand that now. He's just as sick as I am. I keep trying to decipher whether it's the killing or Stu that will subdue my mind but I think I've realised that's inextricable.

There is two things in this life that I am sure of; one is that I was meant to kill and two that I was meant to be with Stu Macher.

I can't separate those two things, it's what we were meant to do.

So that's exactly what we're going to do.

We're in the Macher's garden, the moon is low making the scenery around us glow in a dark shine, the air is bitter cold and the speaker reverberates with the low hum of 'Where is my mind?' by Pixies. Stu exhales a cloud of smoke as he passes the cigarette to me, with a smirk on one side of his mouth. I take a breathe and then lean my head back before exhaling the smoke as it billows above me, absorbing into the crisp night sky. I pass the cigarette to him and look over as Stu takes it back from me, taking a drag. The muscles in his hands and neck, ripple. His blue eyes looking darker under the night sky, I swear they absorb whatever is around them.

He passes it back to me then when I don't take it straight away, he looks for my face. He finds me looking at him.

"What?" He looks over his shoulder towards the house then back to me, raising one eyebrow.

"I like you Stu" I force the words out as they get caught in my throat.

His eyes widen, not in the theatrical way that he does for laughs but in genuine shock. Fuck. I push myself off the ground and find myself needing to escape from the situation, my mind telling me to move fast and get out. Stu quickly stubs out the cigarette on the concrete path beside us and jumps to his feet, his long limbs propelling him in front of me in seconds.

"Woah" He puts his hands on my shoulders, stopping me in my tracks. I try and move but he barely budges. I try harder, grabbing at his arms. "I like you too, Billy. I really fucking like you, you know? I'm not gonna go all gay on you, don't worry" He laughs whilst slowly moving his hands from my shoulders and weaving them under mine until he takes hold of both of my hands from his, releasing my grip "You don't gotta freak out every time, you never have to doubt your feelings with me Billy, whatever you feel I feel tenfold, I promise. We've committed murder together, what else have I got to do to prove to you I'm in this deep.... You never have to run away from me, I'm home, you know?" He closes the gap between us and lowers his head so we're more at eye level, looking into my eyes like he really sees me. Is that why he does that? Not because I make him feel small like I've always thought? Home, safe. That's exactly how he makes me feel. The only positive feelings I have ever felt have come from him.

I meet his gaze, really seeing him too "I love you"

Those blue eyes becoming bluer, I think it's his pupils dilating honestly "I love you too" his voice cracks at the end. We both laugh just as the chorus of the song starts to kick in.

"I never thought Billy Fucking Loomis would say those words first" Stu's smile widens, he's ecstatic.

I pull my hand away and punch him in the side playfully, he twists his torso slightly and acts like it hurt.

"If you tell anyone I'll kill you" I say deadpan.

"Don't get me excited like that" He sticks his tongue out at me, like he does with the girls when he's teasing except this time he's being serious.

"You really are a sick fuck" I pull my other hand free and grab his neck with one and put the other in his hair as I press my lips hard against his. He presses his body into mine, his hand naturally finds its way to my waist. I move my hand from his hair down to his sweater and underneath it as I press the palm of my hand to his chest where his heart beats fast, for me?

I think I would die for him?