Just broken?

March 1996, Woodsboro, CA

I wanna be friends the blonde boy says as he's standing beside me, then and now. Why? My younger voice asks.

"Billy?" Stu in front me, is visibly crying now.

BREAK HIM

"Billy!" Stu sobs, his eyes terrified.

We're the same, the blonde boy smirks.

"Please, I don't know what to do anymore" Stu whimpers through the tears.

INTO PIECES

I raise the knife above my head and force it down towards his chest, but the knife stops short. Stu's hands wrap around the blade, blood instantly pouring between his fingers. His eyes cold, the blue an almost insipid grey as he bites his bottom lip through the pain but a grunt of pain escapes.

I would like to be friends, the younger me whispers.

I drop the knife and step back, Stu let's the knife fall from his hands. Blood still leaking from his palms "I-i'm sorry" my breath starts to come faster, but it's harder to inhale "I just can't-"

I look to my right where the blonde boy was and then snap my head to my left where the dark haired boy was, we're alone in the clearing?

Stu steps closer and puts his blooded hands to my cheeks "it's okay, it's okay"one hand instinctively goes to my hair, to comfort me.

I smack the hand away "No! No you need to get the hell away from me!" I shout, the tiredness escaping me. The adrenaline, pulsing through me at this moment of clarity.

"Come on, let's just go back inside, I'll-" Stu pleads, clasping his hands together toward me in desperation. Physically pleading, begging.

I see the reflection of the blade in the grass, I bend down and pick it up, Stu steps back.

"Go home Stu" my shaky hand points the knife back to him, my eyes watering. I don't want to hurt him, I need him. I love him.

You're weak.

"Billy- I don't know what to do, man. -I-we're"

"GO NOW!" I shout so hard it cuts through my throat.

Like you should have, his.

Stu flinches, he steps backwards nearly stumbling before he turns around as he retreats. He keeps looking back over his shoulder, as he leaves the clearing.