Back "home"

Tree had been nice enough to pack our bags the day before we left. However, before I stepped out the door, Flower tapped my shoulder.

"Here."

———

We were back home.

Everyone relaxed, happy that it was over. Needle however, power-walked over to the newspaper that was left on the doorstep. Leafy and Teardrop simply ignored it and entered the house. Curiosity over my exhaustion, I approached the magician. Well, only to almost be punched in the face when she spun around, holding the newspaper in my face.

"Look!" She squealed.

"I would if I didn't have a paper stuffed in my eyeballs."

Retracting the newspaper, she smiled.

"Sorry. But read the left section!" I skimmed my eyes through the area she pointed to.

"I don't see anythi-"

Finally, I saw it. A print, listing all of the actors performing in the latest event.

The top name?

Needle.

"GUYS!" We both busted the door open to see Leafy and Teardrop, frozen in place.

"What's up?" Leafy asked. Teardrop repeated the motion, swishing her hands around to try and convey a message. I too shoved the paper in their faces, making them read the headline. When I removed it, their expressions were shocked as well.

Leafy was the first to speak.

"Wait, so... YOU," she pointed to Needle. "Got invited to perform, at the royal Banquet?!"

The magician quickly nodded.

"Yep! And not only that, but I'm also representing the Illusionists!"

I don't know what wasn't clicking in my brain, but I had no idea what that meant. Leafy and Teardrop seemed to share the same sentiment.

Needle, noticing this, elaborated.

"Basically what I mean by that, is that a select person of their profession, in this case, magicians, is chosen to organize a spectacular performance for the royals."

We looked even more perplexed.

"Basically I get to do something cool for important people."

"Ohh, I get it now." Leafy beamed. "That's SOO awesome!"

"I know, right?!" Needle squealed along with her.

"When is it happening?" Teardrop signed.

"Tomorrow. For the past few weeks, I've been preparing."

"Oh, so that explains why you borrowed half my potion stack." I glared at her. "You're paying me back tomorrow."

"Yeah yeah, I know." She dismissively waved. "One more thing. I know you've seen the building I perform in, I gave you guys free passes for life. But, it's getting renovated!"

She proceeded to explain that today, the building would be getting more rooms, which meant more space to perform tricks.

"I can actually show you guys right now, if you'd like. It's just down the road, after all..!"

Guess settling down could wait.

We walked down the busy road, passing merchants and people going by. It was a lot cloudier than this morning, and rain was heavily expected. As such, almost everyone who was outside was scrambling to get in their homes. Finally, we reached the performance building.

Is what I would say if I ever had a normal day in my life.

What we saw was not a dazzling building. Instead, the signs were taken down. Construction workers were dismantling everything. Basically, it was a mess. We all looked at each other, confused. Needle looked devastated, like her child was murdered or something. Teardrop took a step back, analyzing everything. She sketched in her notebook, and Leafy simply watched. I saw Needle run to another performer, who was carrying all his 'performer things' in boxes.

"They're demolishing the whole building. Something about pulling out. Your boxes are on the left, by the way." He gestured his shoulders behind him, before walking away.

The sewing needle slowly turned around to face us.

————-

"I'm sure you'll be fine, Needle." Teardrop signed to the gray figure, who had her head in her pillow.

"Yeah, what Teardrop hand-signed!" Leafy tried to cheer her up.

Needle didn't move an inch. The droplet left the room, with Leafy following suit. I stayed there, hands on my lap as I examined the terminal paper.

Needle Callaghan,

We regret to inform you of your termination. Due to lack of funding and support, your building will be deconstructed in favor of a new woodshop. Your items have been put into boxes, as instructed from the paperwork. We at

I was interrupted from my observation by a groan. Needle lifted her head up from the pillow, flopping back to face the ceiling. The last few rays of light bounced off of her silver head (Yes, it was sunset, meaning Needle had been grieving for 5 hours.), and onto the wall.

"What even happened, anyway?" Needle asked. I lifted my head from the paper.

"Well, it says here that it's due to lack of funds, support, and general audience-"

I was cut off once again by another groan. Needle flopped herself back into the pillow, dragging the blanket over herself.

"Come on, you can't be sulking around forever. Don't you also have the performance to do?"

"It's useless." Her voice was muffled and weak. "I'll be kicked off the moment they realize I'm now a street magician." Her bow was untangled, being set on the desk next to us.

I grabbed it, putting it back on Needle's head.

"It's way too early to think like that. Besides, if you quit now, that'd be 300 Atlas coins for nothing." I lightly chuckled after saying the last part.

The sewing needle simply glared at me, before putting her head back down.

"Come on. I doubt they would make such a last minute change. There's still a chance to get your dignity back!"

There was a long moment of silence. Needle shifted her bow, so that it looked just right. By now, the sun had almost completely set, making it blue hour. Raindrops pattered against the window, making at least a small bit of ambience between us.

"I'll think about it." She finally stated.

"Great!" I smiled, standing up from my seat.

"I guess so. Now get out of my room." She weakly joked, finally falling asleep.

I put my hands up in mock surrender. "Alright, fine." I snickered, before walking out and closing the door behind me.

——-

Me 2 days ago: Lemme come back to life real quick

Words: 973