18.- And now what?

After the incident, we headed to the police station with Kacchan. The latter was silent. After more than half a day, we finally arrived home. No one spoke during the journey; we didn't have the energy for it. Upon reaching home, I barely had the energy to crawl into my bed. What will happen now? Are All Might and Sakura okay? Were my actions right, or did Sakura have to expose herself because of me?

Checking the news online, I found that it was filled with reports about the fight between All Might and Sakura. The last mention of Sakura was that she was in critical condition at the hospital. Since then, she was not mentioned until they reported that, while rescuing the last survivor, the slugs scattered in the area disappeared in a puff of smoke.

I lost count of the times I tried to contact All Might and Sakura; on no occasion did they respond. At breakfast the next day, I felt remorse when I saw my mother. As she prepared breakfast, I noticed her swollen eyes from crying. She even set a third place at the table with plates, even though we both knew Sakura wouldn't return. Our surprise was seeing live on the news that Sakura was being discharged. We left our seats and approached the television to see a crowd of journalists surrounding the perimeter where the police and heroes had set up a barrier to the street, where cars were waiting.

"There she is, the door is opening!" shouted the news reporter.

Journalists and cameramen pushed to get the best view of Sakura. When they focused on her, I held my breath. In the midst of thousands of flashes, Sakura looked deadly tired, with pale skin and deep dark circles. Still, she walked upright, radiating a solemn and proud air, with her ninja headband shining on her forehead. I was outraged to notice the thick handcuffs around her wrists as if she were a criminal. All Might walked by her side, both ignoring the journalists eager for answers.

A few steps from the car, which already had the door open for All Might and Sakura to get in, she stopped and turned her face to the news camera we were watching. My throat went dry at the sight of those green eyes that seemed to be looking directly at me.

"Haruno-san, what do you have to say about your origins and the battle two days ago?" the ecstatic reporter asked.

The other journalists and photographers fell silent, eagerly awaiting a response. Unlike them, I felt as if my stomach were about to make a hole as I saw that weak smile laden with sadness.

"I'm sorry" she whispered before turning her gaze forward and getting into the car with All Might.

The journalists bombarded her with questions. I couldn't hear what happened next because my mind kept repeating Sakura's two words over and over. She was addressing the five of us; I could bet anything that she was talking to us five. In a second, I received a message from Todoroki saying the same thing he was thinking. There was no doubt; somehow, she knew that we would have doubts about what she did. Todoroki, Ilda, and I continued trying to communicate with Sakura without success.

Later that afternoon, we received a visit from All Might. For a moment, I forgot about Sakura when my mom expressed concern for my health and was reluctant to let me return to the academy. She finally allowed me to go back, and I promised her that I wouldn't worry her again. I shared some tears with my mother as we both inquired about Sakura, but unfortunately, we had no news.

"It's complicated, I can't say anything at the moment" All Might said before leaving the apartment.

After my mother gave her permission, I left home and started my new life. In the meeting at the dorms, the start was a bit awkward when Aizawa-sensei informed us that, if it weren't for All Might's retirement and Sakura's origin being known, most of us would have been expelled. At the end of the day, after arranging our belongings, a small contest took place, and everything seemed to be going well, even after the five of us met outside the residence with Ochako and Asui to offer apologies.