Act 1 Scene 2

Act I
Scene II. The McAdams living room

The following day.

Enter DEBBY, TERRY, SHARON, FAVOR, ALABA and MIKE.

Terry: (trailing a luggage behind her) We were severally attempted to alight from that bus. If not that we had already paid for the bus fare. I wonder how people can drive like they are mentally disturbed when lives are at stake.

Debby: This is exactly why I'd rather book a flight from Port Harcourt to Abuja and vice versa. The roads are just too wild for me.

Terry: On that, we agree. (Beckons on Sharon) Come and take this bag from me please. My hands are aching.

Debby: (gestures to the furniture) Please, make yourselves comfortable. (Turns to the children) Are you guys hungry?

Sharon: Yes, aunty. We sat for more than 6 hours in the bus. I could use a shower first though.

Debby: (chuckles) It's alright. Rhoda!

Enter RHODA

Rhoda: Yes, Ma. (turns to the guests) Welcome, good morning.

Terry: Morning, my dear. How are you?

Rhoda: Very well, Ma. Thank you.

Debby: Erm, Rhoda please take Sharon to her room to shower. She will be sharing with Alaba. The boys can have one room as well.

Rhoda: (visibly shaky) Ma, only the boys' and your sister's rooms are ready so far. I am yet to finish cleaning up the girls' room.

Debby: (furious) What? What did I tell you yesterday? I specifically asked you to clean all three guest rooms because my relatives were coming and now you have the audacity to inform me you haven't done so. What was holding you back, you uncultured sloth?

Terry: (expresses shock) Debby!

Debby: What?

Terry: kini idi ti o fi se be (Yoruba for "why do you do so?)

Debby: Meaning what?

Terry: Our parents did not teach us to talk down on people like this, especially people who work for you. Please, it's verbal abuse. Stop it! The young lady is not made of firewood nor steel. She did not intentionally leave out a room whilst cleaning, and like you said, you only asked her to do the cleaning just yesterday. If anything, it's your fault she could not finish in time.

Debby: (inhales and exhales deeply) Fine! Sharon can make use of your room then and the girls will have to stay with you until their room is ready.

Terry: That will not be an issue.

Debby: (sharply turns to Rhoda) Get me Linus!

Rhoda: (curtseys) Yes, Ma.

Exeunt RHODA and SHARON

Enter OGA LINUS

Oga Linus: Good afternoon, Madam. (turns to Terry and the kids) Una weldon oh. Good afternoon.

The other kids: Good afternoon, Sir.

Terry: Hello, good afternoon.

Debby: Linus, please go and get the remaining luggages from the car.

Oga Linus: Erm, madam. I be wan use this opportunity ask you say that tin wey I bin tell you about last week, I wan know whether you don consider am finish.

Debby: What thing?

Oga Linus: Erm, about my sister pikin.

Debby: (frowns) Linus, does my house look like a charity organization? I already have enough to deal with right now. I don't want another headache, or do you think I am in need of another mouth to feed?