Act 3 Scene 2

Act III
Scene II. In the living room

Enter DEBBY and TERRY

Debby: So your girls planned an ambush on my daughter in her own house? What sort of nonsense is that, Terry? Or better still, what gave room to that nonsense?

Terry: Alaba told me Zoey started it.

Debby: But guess who has a large scrape on her shin? Zoey does. Your girls ambushed and beat her up knowing fully well that she's just one and there's two of them. I don't care who started what. Have your daughters apologize to Zoey at once.

Terry: Have you wondered if maybe Zoey is just victimizing herself? My daughters said they approached her out of concern and she rebuked them. In a bid to retreat, she raised a hand first. Of course, they had to defend themselves.

Debby: What in the tag team is that supposed to mean then? Why didn't the attacked retaliate instead of both of them, Terry? I thought your girls knew better, but obviously they don't – the evidence of bad parenting.

Terry: Excuse me, Debby? I'm a bad parent? (chuckles mockingly) Don't even go there with me, or else you won't like the outcome of it.

Debby: Whoever said I was scared of you, or whatever you have to say? You come to my house, you're expected to be less arrogant and behave as guests, but no, you set your two little monsters on my daughter.

Terry: (angry) My children are not monsters, Debby, watch your tongue. They acted out of self-defense. If the cases had been reversed, I'm sure you would have defended Zoey for doing the same. In case you have forgotten, good parenting does not guarantee a successful, long-standing marriage.

Debby: What did you say?

Terry: You heard me crystal. Before you pick a hole in my coat, check yours. You failed as a wife, dear sister. Yes, I know about that skeleton in your closet.

Debby: You little devil. (A fight ensues)

Enter UNCLE BEAN and JACOPO

Uncle Bean: Deborah! Terry! What is going on? Why are you fighting? (tries to intervene)

Jacopo: (calls out) Somebody help!

Enter OGA LINUS, AMAECHI and HARRISON

Harrison: War scatter! Small madam and big madam, wetin dey happen oh?

(They separate the fighting duo)

Uncle Bean: Deborah, why'd you get physical with your sister? What's happening?

Debby: She is a hypocrite and a betrayer.

Uncle Bean: How so? (turns to Terry) Terry, what is she talking about? What's going on? Whatever it is you're fighting about you can talk it out between yourselves. Violence never solved anything, okay?

Debby: (stares blankly at Jacopo) Bean, who is this?

Uncle Bean: (solemnly) This is Emanuele Jacopo. He came in from Tuscany last week. He is Dean's lawyer.

Oga Linus: Nawa oh. Why Oga Dean no hire lawyer for this side nau? We get plenty plenty better lawyer them for inside town oh, dem sabi work well well. No need to dey disturb oyibo man wey dey enjoy life for overseas make e come this Nigeria.

Uncle Bean: (smiles) Linus, please you can leave now. Thank you. Take your coworkers with you.

Exeunt OGA LINUS, AMAECHI and HARRISON.

Enter DEAN

Dean: (surprised) Jacopo! You made it. Good to see you.

Jacopo: Good to see you, Dean.

Dean: Please, have a seat.

(Everyone seats)

Uncle Bean: Hello, brother.

Dean: I didn't know you flew back in. How long have you been around?

Uncle Bean: I came in three days after Jacopo arrived the country. He called me to let me know he was here so I'd bring him to you and I wanted to come say hello too, so—

Debby: Why is Jacopo here?

Jacopo: Ma'am, I believe you are uh, Mrs McAdams, Dean's wife.

Debby: That I am.

Jacopo: (provides a few files from his briefcase) I also believe you're very much aware of the, uh, divorce case your husband brought up about, uh, two months ago.

Debby: (to her husband) Are you seriously pushing through with this, Dean? We talked about it.

Dean: We did, although I did most of the talking. I already told you we were getting a divorce. You kept acting like you've gone deaf.

Debby: No matter what you say or what your. . . your lawyer here says, I am not going to sign those papers. I am not the problem here. You're just doing this because you have ulterior motives and God help you I find out what they are. Regardless, there will be no divorce, Dean. No divorce.

(Scene closes)