Act 2 Scene 1

Act II
Scene I. Debby and Dean's bedroom

A week later

Enter DEBBY and DEAN

Dean: I can't with you anymore, Debs. Do you always have to make a mountain out of a molehill?

Debby: I'm not the one making a mountain out of a molehill here. You are! You were going to file for divorce—

Dean: Am going to file for divorce.

Debby: On what grounds? We have two kids.

Dean: And that's wonderful, but I can't just live with you anymore. Everyday, it's one thing after another. You're quick to point fingers, you talk down on me and don't ever listen to me. You treat me like a child and not your husband. I thought marriage was supposed to be about two people coming together to live in peace and love? Clearly that doesn't apply to this marriage because it's been an all-out war since day one.

Debby: So you're going to file for a divorce, just like that?

Dean: Did you hear anything I said? This isn't a happy marriage. I am not happy, Debs, and neither are you. You know it. You've replaced me and the kids with extravagance, your interests matter more than your family. When was the last time we had a proper conversation that wasn't snoozeworthy?

Debby: Come off it, Dean. Why do you make it sound like everything's my fault?

Dean: It is your fault, Debs. And it's mine as well. I was too slow to comprehend the impending head-on collision. This relationship has been going at three hundred miles per hour.

Debby: Can you stop talking in riddles?

Dean: It's not gonna work out anymore, Debs. Simple English. This marriage is hopeless. I'm filing for a divorce and that's final. I just want to be at peace.

Exit DEAN

(Scene fades and opens in the same location)

Enter RHODA

Debby: Make sure this entire room is sparkling clean. And don't even think about sitting on anything with that filthy behind of yours.

Rhoda: Yes, Ma.

Exit DEBBY

(Scene closes)