Act 4 Scene 2

Act IV
Scene II. In the garage

Three weeks later

Enter TERRY, ZOEY, GEORGE, SHARON, MIKE, ALABA, FAVOR and GENESIS

Terry: Can you imagine? Three weeks gone and we didn't get to hang out even once! What a rollercoaster the past days have been.

Zoey: I agree.

Terry: (to her children) Remember what we discussed?

Sharon: (turns to Zoey) Zoey, we're sorry for ganging up on you.

Alaba: Yes. I guess we were a little jealous.

Zoey: Jealous of what?

Alaba: Well, you live quite comfortably. . . Too comfortably, in fact. We don't have the same privileges as you do and it sort of drove us to act like true monsters. We were definitely wrong for lording it over you in your own house. (turns to Genesis) And for calling you a plus one. We're sorry.

Genesis: No hard feelings. Honestly, you were right. I am a plus one, but it doesn't bother me at all. I just go with whatever.

Sharon: He's a really cool guy. (to Zoey) You should date him before he goes worldwide.

Terry: (chuckles) excuse me?

Favor: Not everybody is like you, Sharon.

Sharon: What am I like?

Mike: You like boys too much. It's become unhealthy. We are all concerned.

Terry: She likes boys, except for you and your brother. You make her life miserable.

Favor: We make her life meaningful and exciting. Imagine having only Alaba as a sibling.

Alaba: Ment! Look at this one oh.

(They all laugh)

Zoey: You know you can always come back during the next holidays, or whenever you feel like it. The grounds have been softened and so we'll get along better.

Sharon: Sure thing.

Terry: It was good seeing you though. Take care of yourself and George, Zoey.

Zoey: I will. (turns around) Benzema!

Favor: (with wide eyes) Don't tell me you brought the actual footballer as a send off present for us?

Alaba: What did I just say not too long ago?

Mike and Sharon: Ment!

Zoey: Benzema is just a nickname for our driver. He'll be taking you to the bus stop. You can get to know him on your way, he's very friendly and fun. Here he comes.

Enter AMAECHI

Amaechi: Zozo, what's up?

Zoey: Benzema, my aunt and cousins are ready to go now.

Amaechi: No problems. Genesis, my man. What's up?

Genesis: I'm good, Benzema.

Amaechi: No, no. Only Zozo has full rights to using that nickname. Every other person should call me Amaechi or Governor.

Favor: Like the former governor of Port Harcourt?

Amaechi: Oil dey this boy head.

Alaba: E bin dey before, but now dem don use am fry dodo.

(They all laugh)

(Scene fades and opens in the staff building)

Enter DEAN, GENESIS, and ZOEY

Dean: Zoey, this is the young man you were telling me about?

Zoey: Yes daddy.

Genesis: Good afternoon, Sir.

Dean: (extends a hand) Hello and good afternoon. A pleasure to meet you. What is your name?

Genesis: It's Genesis, Sir.

Dean: Ah, like the book of the Bible. The beginning of all things good. That's wonderful. My daughter tells me you've become a very good friend of hers.

Genesis: I believe so. She's also a good friend of mine.

Dean: Well, seeing as there aren't many people Zoey can relate with other than her brother, whom she seldom ever relates with, I'd say it's great she found a friend. A good one at that. (turns to Zoey) I'm happy for you, Zo.

(Zoey whispers into her father's ear)

Dean: (appears flabbergasted) You want him as your first boyfriend?

Zoey: (embarrassed) Daddy, You were not supposed to say it out loud.

Dean: Oh, fish sticks! Well, I've definitely made it all awkward now, but I think it's better he's aware of your intentions earlier. I can't let you have a boyfriend til you turn eighteen.

Zoey: Guess who's turning eighteen in a few weeks?

Dean: (realizes and chuckles) Well played, Zo. Very well played. Just like your Uncle. (turns to Genesis) Young man, count yourself lucky from this day forward because my little princess has found interest in you.

Genesis: I do feel lucky.

Dean: But beware, if you do anything to hurt her, I'll glue your lips together so you're single your whole life.

Zoey: Daddy, that's harsh.

Dean: Go hard or go home, darling.

Exeunt ALL

(Scene fades)

The End

GLOSSARY OF WORDS USED IN THIS CHAPTER

Ment – pidgin slang for "mental, crazy, madness"

Dodo – a Nigerian dish of plantains sliced and fried to a light brown color.