𝟬𝟬𝟵 it's nice to have a friend

CHAPTER NINE

CHAPTER NINE.
it's nice to have a friend

     THERE WERE TIMES when Delia Cromwell liked to think she was better off alone

     THERE WERE TIMES when Delia Cromwell liked to think she was better off alone. It was a strange state of mind she easily adopted after she first arrived in camp half-blood where she would start her new life. But overtime it stuck with her, like a nagging headache throbbing in the back of her skull whenever she experienced a feeling of self doubt, or if she felt more like a burden than an asset. This was one of those moments. There she was, sitting at a table with her quest-mates, staring longingly out the window of the moving train, watching as the sun started to rise, an orange hue soaring across the sky. While the others discussed the quest with one another, Delia remained alone, deep in her own thoughts.

     Believe it or not, Delia actually preferred it that way. She preferred to not be included for the most part because refusing to engage in a topic of deep importance prevented her ability to care about others. And truth be told, Delia didn't like to do the whole friendship thing.

     After the incident that took away the two people she cared about most, Delia made the tough choice to never allow herself to feel that kind of pain again — grief and unimaginable loss. But then she was forced into the world of Greek mythology, and everything she believed had to be thrown out the window. The moment she met her protector, Grover Underwood, who was given the task of getting her to camp safely, everything seemed to change. She allowed him to be her friend, believing he would be the exception, and considering Grover was hardly around, the satyr often being given more demigods to find and escort safely back to camp, Delia wasn't sure how close her and the satyr boy actually were anymore.

     Then as the months went bye, after she was claimed by her father and was moved into cabin seven, she made the exception again for her brothers and sisters who welcomed her into their fold with big smiles and open arms. Especially Feyre and Alina, who looked out for her more than anyone else in the camp. And she made the exception again for Luke because he was Feyre's best friend and she trusted Feyre enough to believe he was one of the good ones. Luke also showed Delia around during her first few days in camp, so he made it difficult to freeze him out like she did with everyone else she has met since losing. . . She couldn't even think about them without feeling that dull ache in her chest.