Chapter 3

"No mom, I'm not going to wear my basketball uniform." Zoa says over the video call, settling her phone down on her nightstand as she opens her big, shared closet with Soojin to find a convenient outfit.

Today is the day. It's the day of the evaluations. Zoa hasn't been informed on whether it would only be the first phase today or the second as well but she assumes it will only be the first since making pairs for the second phase would take a while. She can't say she's too nervous. But there's the normal amount of nervousness rushing through her veins and making her feel a little too shaky and stiff.

She's not sure of what to think about the evaluations today. She's gone to most of the clubs existing out there with Jiwoo, to check out what they were about and if she was interested in them and she can say that she hasn't found any club that could really fit her. Most of them were lame too, some of them were filled with way too many students or not cooperative students and some others were very disorganized or with no equipment at all even though there was obviously some needed so Zoa has crossed out all clubs in the list, coming down with the few safe choices left in her which are the dance club and the basketball club. Obviously she's more into basketball so that's her first choice as after all she has no clue of the dancing techniques out there so she's pretty sure she will suck at it. She's only going to join if she fails to join the basketball club and only because Jiwoo, Monday and Soeun are there. The more friends she has in a club, the better.

Her parents have video called her just now because they wanted to wish her the best of all luck as well as see overall how their daughter has been doing. Sure, Zoa could hear out their advice just now and wear her basketball uniform she has from Mr. Choi's training teen team but she's not one to brag about something ⏤whatever that is⏤ so she refuses to accept the advice. Soojin has been sitting on her own bed, already dressed, waiting for her friend to get ready as the rest of their friends are already waiting by the gym. Of course she wouldn't leave Zoa alone so she told the girls to wait for them by the gym.

"I just want you to get some confidence, that's why I suggested it!" Zoa's mother says.

"Honey, you know our daughter. She doesn't like bragging about things. She will fight for her place in that team without having to brag about her coach. Am I right, Hyewonie?" Zoa's father says and she hums in response before she takes a pair of long loose red sports pants, her black nike shoes and a loose white t-shirt.

"I guess these will do for now." She simply says and shows her outfit to Soojin and then her parents. Her father does a thumbs up while her mother sighs sadly.

"I wish you the best of luck. And don't get hurt. If they don't accept you in their team it's their loss just so you know. Never beat up yourself about it because you deserve way better than a random college basketball team, you hear me young lady?" Zoa chuckles and nods her head.

"Yes, mom." She says softly as she takes the phone in her hands and sits down on her bed, just looking at her parents for a few seconds, trying to capture their happy smiles. Unfortunately for her, she's not calling them as often as her mother would like but she's not doing it on purpose. She truly is too busy catching up at her new classes and once she's done she either has to visit new clubs to figure out what she likes or hang out with her friends. Then she needs to practice before she ends up returning to her room with Soojin, doing her night routine and sleeping it off. She misses them though, that's for sure. She doesn't have the time to really think too much of them or get too homesick but she surely does miss having them around and sometimes it feels a little too hard or still too foreign waking up to Soojin unnie instead of her parents.

"I love you." She tells them both. Zoa's mother tears up as she hugs her husband, almost crying at her daughter's words.

"Aw I love you too honey! And I miss you so much!" Zoa's mother says and Zoa giggles as her mother sends her a few flying kisses.