Chapter 20

"Nahi, baccha. Bilkul nahi. You know, I feel the same loneliness, and I don't think it's something that ever goes away. It's a product of our childhood, of the way we grew up. And it's not just us, but everyone in the world feels some brand of loneliness, no matter how many loving people they have in our lives. Just remember, that we are all here with you. Whenever you're feeling lonely, come to us. Let us be with you. Aur bigaadne ki baat, bilkul bigad nahi rahi ho tum. 

It is normal, and you should have expectations from your loved ones. Forget about the rest of the world, but part of embracing your loved ones is expecting things from them, too. We didn't get any love from any of the elders in our family. So we've learned to live without emotional expectations. But I'm learning that you should ask your elders to remember and wish you and bless you on your birthday. You should expect your husband to be with you on your special day. Now if these don't happen? How you react is up to you. But it's absolutely not wrong to wish for them in the first place, gudiya." 

"I feel like we've switched places, Bhai. I always used to give you emotional lectures, lekin aaj aap mujhe samjhaarahe hain." Yash kissed his sister's forehead then got up. "Change quickly, let's go down and have some cake. I'll see you downstairs." As Yash headed out the door, he bumped into his brother-in-law. "Please, don't burden Vaidehi with any more drama. Let her enjoy the rest of her birthday in peace." "There's no drama, Yash. I promise. I only came to apologize." Yash nodded. "Vaidu always said that everyone needs a second chance." He allows Raghuveer to step through the doorway. Vaidehi was still in the same position, ruminating over her brother's words. Raghuveer kneeled in front of her and clasped her hands in his, making her look up. "I'm sorry, Vaidehi."

In the living room a few minutes ago:

"Uss pyaari baachi ko dekh Raghuveer. Knowing that you had us plan this party, knowing that you attended another event and apparently with another woman, she hasn't said anything. She was only worried that we were worried about you. She's waiting for you to explain before judging. Just think about how lucky you are, beta." "I know, Maa. And I promise you all, the situation is not as it seems. Trust in me this time, like you have every other time, and I won't let you down. But let me apologize to my wife first." 

Chandrika reluctantly nodded, agreeing. Ranvijay added, "You better have a damned good explanation." Raghuveer took that as his cue and sprinted upstairs. About to knock on the door, he heard conversation filtering through the partially open doorway. Although he had doubted it before, now he was sure that Vaidehi didn't have a normal childhood. She had been neglected and denied the love that he had grown up in. Still, she was so strong and loving.

"I'm sorry, Vaidehi. Will you give me a chance to explain?" "Of course...ev-" "Thank you. You don't know how much I wanted to be here, with you. I even left early from work, but one of our senior directors, who was supposed to represent us at this business event, had a family emergency and couldn't attend. I was going to ask another director to attend when I found out that one of our prospective clients' were going to be at this event. They're leaving early tomorrow morning and demanded to speak to only me. 

I thought I could easily handle the issue and be back in time for dinner at least. But one issue with the client led to another, and just as I was about to leave, that leech, Myra, detained me for another ten minutes. She's half the reason I don't attend these events in the first place. I thought I had got out in time to make it for the cake-cutting, but the traffic today was against me. Every other business event I've attended, I was always the first to leave, barely making a presence. But the first time I needed to leave, I couldn't make it happen. I'm really sorry, sweetheart." 

"Raghuveer-ji, I let you explain because you were so intent on it, but I really don't need an explanation. First, I had never expected any of you to remember my birthday, so this party and all was truly an exceptional gift for me. Second, I understand and respect that you're a businessman with major responsibilities. I don't mind if you miss my birthday for an important event. Birthdays come again every year. Third, our relationship is not like that of other husbands and wives that I would feel jealous seeing you with another woman. Even if it was, I would give you a chance to explain. And lastly, we were all just worried about where you were. The only thing I was disappointed about was that you didn't inform us where you were going." 

Veer hugged her close and kissed her forehead. 'I'll make it up to you sweetheart, I promise,' he thought.