Chapter 21

Here's another step forward for the couple!

Vaidehi and Raghuveer quickly changed and headed downstairs. While Radhika, Shraddha and Abhiram's families had left immediately after the cake was cut, the trio stayed behind. Everyone else had changed into comfortable clothing, too, and plates of cake were just being passed around. Radhika and Shraddha, not to mention everyone else, still looked pretty pissed off, but they came over to hug her. "If one of our fiancés did this, they would have become history." "Radhi..." "Yeah yeah, Yash Bhai explained everything. But you madam, still have a lot of explaining to do. Tomorrow." 

Vaidehi sighed and nodded at Shraddha. Veer explained to everyone what had happened with the business party, and they still seemed angry, but a bit more understanding. "Now that that's out of the way, let's enjoy our cake?" Vaidehi tried to diffuse the situation, and it worked; it seemed like everyone was too tired. "I have a gift for you. I couldn't make it to the party, but at least I can give you your gift. Happy 23rd birthday, my biwi." 

Raghuveer handed her a well-wrapped box. Vaidehi carefully opened it, and inside was a beautifully bound and signed advanced copy of a book that Vaidehi had been dying to read. Not only that, but there was a note from the author wishing her a happy birthday and a request for a heartful review. Vaidehi lifted the book out of the box and looked up at Veer, with a sheen of tears in her eyes. But as she looked back down, she saw another envelope inside the box. She opened it and found tickets to the ICC World Cup finals. 

Vaidehi squealed and clapped her hands, the tears falling out of her eyes and down her face. "Shh, don't cry. I'm hoping this means you're happy?" Raghuveer gently wiped the tears off her face and gathered her close. "Very! I can't put it into words." "Not fair, Bhai! You always told us we had to earn it when we asked for tickets!" "And your Bhabhi did, gadhe. Now, chup!" Seeing Vaidehi happy cleared everyone's moods, and they all called it a night. As Vaidehi and Raghuveer were about to sleep, she suddenly got up and turned to him. "Mujhe aapse kuch baat karni hain." "Abhi? Neend nahi aa rahi?" "Baad mein bata sakthi hoon, lekin abhi karni hain." "Kya baat hain?" 

He wrapped an arm around her and drew her close, sitting up against the headboard, and Vaidehi allowed it. "Saaf saaf bata deti hoon. Agar main kuch cheezon se normally nahi react karti, toh uske peeche ek waja hain. Bachpan mein, aur ab bhi, Maa aur Papa bohot distant the. Matlab unki puri duniya ek dusre hi the, toh humare liya kuch bacha nahi tha. Bhai aur maine Maitreyi aur Nitesh ko bhi pala. Tab se seekha maine, puri tarah se self-sufficient banna. Mentally, emotionally, sab kuch. Zyaada tar main bohot khush rehthi hoon, kyunki ek sukoon mili hain mujhe zindagi mein. Aur itne saare log hain jisse main apna samajhthi hoon, aur jo mujhe apna samajhthe hain. Lekin kabhi kabhaar, woh bachpan wala akelaapan wapas aa jata hain, aur usse main humesha ladungi. Pata nahi mujhe ki main aur kaise samjhaoon, bas..." 

"Shh, samajh gaya main. Maine tum aur tumhari bhai ke kuch baatein sun liya. Itna accha parivaar hain, dost hain mujhe, phir bhi mujhe akelaapan mehsoos hota hain. Ameer hone ka ek unavoidable side effect. Pehle main tumse issiliye bhag raha tha, kyunki woh akelaapan aadat ban gaya, aur tumhara saath jo kuch pal maine beetha, woh aadat choot raha tha. Ab aur nahi, main kahi nahi jaunga." Vaidehi smiled, biting her lip. "Mann halka lag raha hain ab." "Ab so jao, bohot thak gaye hum." And like that, they fell asleep in each other's arms.