Chapter 24

I know, I've been slacking on the daily updates, but it's just been getting crazy busy. Looks like the rest of the world is getting out of their New Year's slump, and I need to get it together, too!

The sangeet was an absolute hit, the performances quite entertaining. The performances started with the grooms-to-be dancing to 'Mehendi Laga ke Rakhna and 'Tenu Leke Main Jawanga', joined by their younger brother and Avinash for 'Cheez Badi' and 'Tamma Tamma.' Then Vaidehi and Raghuveer performed a romantic dance to 'Main Agar Kahoon', which was quite difficult to synchronize with the many turns and lifts, but it came out beautifully. The pair didn't realize how the song passed by as the music ended. 

Then it transitioned to Radhika and Shraddha's performances to 'Maiyya Yashoda' and 'Dilbaro'. Vaidehi joined them for their girls medley dance, which was a little out of the box. The crown quieted as the trio disappeared to put on sunglasses and sneakers, which were visible under their lehengas. They re-entered on 'Kala Chashma', transitioned to 'Badtameez Dil', then finished with 'Desi Girl'. Then the couples-to-be performed to 'Bole Chudiyan' and 'Ishq wala Love', garnering whistles and cheers from the audience. 

Finally, all the families came together to perform to 'Maahi Ve', which led to an emotional moment between Radhika and Shraddha's families as the 'Chanda Mere Chanda' stanza played. After several more hours of food and grooving to the brides' carefully curated playlist, the event finally wrapped up. The plan was for Vaidehi to stay back until after the wedding the next day. But Raghuveer, unknown to Vaidehi, convinced Radhika and Shraddha's parents to let him take Vaidehi home. 

Before she knew it, she had been ushered into the car and they were driving home. "Will you not welcome me back?" Vaidehi thought about what Bhai had told her, about allowing herself to have expectations for the important people in their lives. Well, now seemed as good a time to start as any. "Should I be welcoming you back?" "I would like it if you did." "Welcome back, then." After a few moments, "Naraaz ho mujhse?" "Honi chahiye?" "I would understand if you were. Explain karne ka mauka dogi?" "Kya, deni chahiye?" "Are you only going to answer my questions with questions?" "Should I not?" 

Veer growled, irritated at her word play, while Vaidehi tried to control the smile creeping up her face. Suddenly Veer parked the car and turned to her, radiating controlled energy. He held her hand and tugged her close, as close as he could with the shift control in between them. Kissing up her palm to her wrist, he caressed her knuckles. Vaidehi's fingers closed in, and she tried to pull away, turning her head. But he wouldn't let her go. 

"I'm not used to apologizing or giving explanations, but it's important to me that you understand." Vaidehi wasn't truly mad in the first place, but she instantly forgave him after hearing his explanation, indicated by her sweet smile. She snatched her hand away immediately after though, doubtful she could handle it if Veer continued to caress her hand through the rest of the ride. 

Arriving home, Veer ordered her to stay while he opened her door. Vaidehi didn't always allow this to happen, but it didn't hurt to let yourself be pampered every once in a while. As she stepped out, Raghuveer said lowly in her ear, "Did I mention, you're looking quite tempting today? Especially after two weeks without a sight." Vaidehi tried to step forward and walk in front of him, but he held her wrist, intertwining their fingers, and walked beside her, smirking.