Chapter 8

A few weeks passed, and life for Pearl seemed to be getting better. The wounds from the past were healing, and she was finding solace in her newfound strength. Aiden continued to be her constant support, making every day a little brighter.

One day after school, as they strolled through the park, Aiden broke the news.

The crisp autumn air enveloped Pearl and Aiden as they meandered through the park, their footsteps creating a symphony of crunching leaves beneath.

"Pearl, you know that this might be the last few months we might be able to meet, right? I'll be leaving in a few months." Aiden said, his eyes fixed on the gentle ripples of the pond water.

Pearl's initial reaction was a momentary heartache, a realization that they wouldn't be able to meet each other often. A fleeting shadow crossed her face. However, offering a genuine and supportive smile, "I know Aiden... you don't need to remind me.," Pearl responded.

Suspended in the splendour of autumn, they talked about the future while perched on the grass. Dreams, aspirations, and the unspoken reality that their paths were about to diverge became the focal points of their discussion.

The afternoon unfolded with an ebb and flow of emotions, a delicate dance between acceptance and the bittersweet revelation of change. As the sun dipped below the horizon, casting an ethereal glow on the autumn landscape, they found solace in each other's company.

At home

When Pearl gets home, she calls one of her friends and breaks into tears, telling her how upset she is that Aiden is leaving, and how in such a short time, he'd become someone she always wanted to talk to, share things with... How she felt comfortable whenever she was with him, how he was like an elder brother to her that she had never had. She knew she thought more of their friendship and closeness than he did...How could she not? I mean, not everyone aspires to be her friend.

Deep down, Pearl knew that their bond would remain strong, even if the physical distance increased... maybe...

Would it? Or would everything change once Aiden went to college? Would he get new friends, and not want to talk to her anymore?