-09-

CHAPTER NINE
THE REASON UNVEILED

As her parents left the room only the children remained. The maids were lined in too but they had distanced themselves from the group for they knew there were words to be laid and events to be explained. Orion sat next to Sterlla, head hanging low. No one in the house blamed him for the incident but he had chosen otherwise.

Orion felt incompetent for he couldn't save Sterlla when she was right next to him. Linone and Simore explained to him that it was inevitable for he couldn't have predicted such an organisation yet Orion refused to believe such. As a fiance no less he should have paid more attention. "Sterlla...I have failed you."

"What do you mean?" She asked him in worry, studying his sorrowful eyes. Sigel inched closer to Sterlla sitting on her bed on her knees. "Sister dear. Prince Feifer blames himself for the unfortunate incident that took us all by surprise." She didn't stop there and continued narrating all of that had happened in the previous month and a half while Sterlla was under rest and all the other details.

Sterlla fell into deep thoughts. Her hands dropped on either sides and her eyes fell under darkness or to be more precise they just simply lost their brightness. Hearing such a bizzare narration took her by much too laying yet she knew this was no jest for their reactions spoke for themselves.

"You are joking. All of that happened...?"

"Sterlla," Lionella began, seating herself between the sisters. Sigel quietly shifted backward letting them engage but internally she was utterly furious. She clutched onto her dress controlling her temper. Lionella resumed speaking when she had secured Sterlla's hands in hers. "Unexpected things happened. We were all devastated but for me and for everyone in this room, your well being is much too important. Seeing that you are able to talk, move, and smile at us makes us happy. I want you to know that it's normal to expect huge shocks hearing such otherworldly happenings but never forget we are here for you."

"Oh Lionella. How do I say this...what is surprising me most is how I was killed in the first place..I mean attacked.."

Linone cleared his throat at the question and all their gazes immediately shown over him. "I can answer that for you, Crown Princess Sterlla."

"You may speak." Simore granted permission as a point of formality as Linone stepped a bit closer to the group. "Crown Princess Sterlla was poisoned."

"Poisoned?" Orion questioned his reply in fury and utter despise towards who had commited such.

"Yes Prince Feifer. The royal physician run his tests and came to this conclusion. I send my team to the place of the picnic instantly when I heard of the results. Upon further investigation we found traces of poison in the teacups."

"What? But me and Prince Feifer drank from those cups as well." Sigel said. Her eyes shivered in fear and her trembling hands held each other tightly.

"Rest assured lady Sigel. The poison didn't affect you both because of it's contents. Normally seeing, it is just an extra liquid added in the tea. It will not alter the taste of anything but when Crown Princess Sterlla drinks from the same she will be affected."

"You mean to say..." Simore gulped.

"Yes. The assassinator knew that our princess is allergic. Allergic to the golden flower. It was cleverly added to the tea and since it doesn't even alter the smell of the drink, not a needle was suspected."

Sterlla pondered over Linone's words as he sat back on the armchair a little farther from the gathered people around the bed. Not only did the assassinator know about her allergy but they also knew about the picnic they had only thought of a night before and the house was informed of which the very morning. They knew the teapot she would use and what cups she would take.

They knew everything about something the house itself didn't know about. She clenched her teeth together gripping onto the sheets over her. "Who could have done something so henious?" Lionella fumed. Sterlla took a deep breath after her friend's dragon breath. She smiled warmly next. "I'm alive and fine so I don't think we should circle about this too much."

Sterlla and the friends engaged in small talks after the same following which they left the room in a much happy state. Linone was the last to leave. Before leaving through the door he spun around briefly to look at Sterlla. "I am happy you are okay but who knows when the attacker will strike back?"

Hearing his words she leaned back on the headrest gazing at the open window. She knew what he was getting at but she didn't wish to stir a fuss in the house for a matter that had been folded for over a month ago. Linone realised he was going to get no reply and so he continued to speak. "You are the Crown Princess. Many enemies will benefit from you death. I speak not as the commander of the demon army but as the loyal disciple of the Xiones house. I will find this person and give them what they deserve. Rightly."

Saying as much he stepped out of the door as the doors shut behind him. Sterlla left a heavy, long sigh. Her maids scurried over to her to help her get off the bed. The shock from the news was still fresh in her body and mind. They helped her get into the enormous bath. Covered in rose petals and warm water, Sterlla gazed at the walls of the bathroom with her lifeless eyes. Everything was over as of now but it was too much for her to handle.

She didn't even lift the soap or any other supplies to cleanse herself and with that the head maid knew she had to help her wash up. With the heavy stone of helplessness over her head from her master's condition, she began her volunteered help.