-11-

CHAPTER ELEVEN
THE ASSASSIN CULTURE

Linone nodded to her explained quietly. Sterlla then turned to face him. "But why is the honourable commander here?" She asked in a mischievous smirk. Linone shook his head at her playfulness despite all the misfortune they had countered. "It's a tea party hosted by Vinford. Duty calls dear."

"Then my family..."

"Hm. Prince Simore, lady Sigel, lady Adena, Prince Orion and my dumb sister. We are all here."

Lionella stormed towards Linone and stepped on his feet with her heels. Linone winced and glared at her sharply. "You are stupid." She hissed. They glared at each other untill Sterlla broke in. Conversation struck between the three in a flow.

Many ladies then began approaching them. Sterlla and Lionella sighed in unison. Though she didn't want to admit it, Lionella knew her brother had a face to pull the women and men alike towards him. She teased him with her twirling eyes as the ladies began striking a conversation with him.

He tried his best to evade their questions as Lionella and Sterlla engaged in a talk with each other. Their eyes then shifted to Sterlla and her beautiful dress. "Crown Princess Sterlla. You look beautiful as always." They said in chorus hovering around her like worker bees. They waited to clink glasses with her. She immediately picked hers up and the cheer rose.

The ladies sipped through their individual drinks altogether while Sterlla hesitated. Her hesitation called upon suspicion. She smiled a half smiled at them squeezing her eyes as she brought the glass closer to her lips. Lionella and Linone knew interfering would result in utter chaos and further curious eyes.

Sterlla then stepped back unnoticeable and bumped against the table. Her glass fell off her hands and shattered on the floor. The red liquid stained the tiles while eyes watched. "I- I am so sorry--"

"Crown Princess are you okay?" "Is the Crown Princess okay?" "Is she hurt?" "Who on earth placed the tables there!"

Hearing such a response Sigel was taken aback. The blame was shifted to an inanimate object which just proved how important Sterlla was to everyone and how much they cherished her.

"The table was here from the beginning." Sterlla muttered. Vinford house maids rushed towards her. They checked her hands for wounds and her dress for stains. Simore too dashed towards her. "Sister! Are you okay?"

"Come on brother Simore. I am fine. It was just a small mishap--"

"What if the glass shard would have cut through your delicate skin!"

"Eh?!? Seriously I'm fine. Don't worry yourself so much."

The mishap brought eyes on the Vinford house. Chattering emerged before the queen herself appeared in front of the guests. She smiled at Sterlla warmly in a motherly affection before speaking to the gathered audience. "I apologise on behalf of my house. It was a mistake on our part that we didn't pay attention to Crown Princess Sterlla well. I assure you she is unharmed and there is nothing to worry about anymore. You may resume your activities."

As the queen exited, stepping down the stage, the tea stained tiles discolored and cracked. Lionella stepped away from the aforementioned pulling Sterlla with her. Her actions brought hovering eyes to the tiles.

***

Upon investigating further traces of harmful chemicals were found on the tiles and the tea. It seemed like rat poison at first but when the tests were further conducted the results concluded it to be a laboratory acid.

Murmuring erupted in the hall. Linone called upon his team to thoroughly check through all present guests and the house itself. All possible exits were securely locked. Those who drank the tea were examined by the physicians immediately.

***

Poisoning your threat in such tea parties had always been a common tactic. Although the rise wasn't too much almost all were aware of this. The parties didn't stop for this sake because the country believed that fear would just invite more crime. Under excellent surveillance not once had such an act occured but today was different.

Sterlla waited for Linone to say told you so but he stayed mum. Vinford house handled careful and harsh checking on it's staff and even on themselves. Catching the criminal was a must now. For the country this had occured for the first time but Simore and the group knew this was the second attempt of the assassin.

Sterlla was taken to the Xiones Castle immediately under guidance of Linone and his army. The party was cancelled immediately and news of the incident reached the Emperor and Empress.

***

Year 374...
Xiones Castle hall...

Serox called a meeting to figure their next step. Sterlla sat in silence as the rest of the audience engaged in talks and plans. Seradole then gathered her attention to her daughter. "Sterlla dear. There are many in this world who want to see your downfall. You have the power and the name and you are openly allowed to compete with your brother for the crown of heir."

She looked at her mother. Her words came off as confusing to her and Seradole figured such. "What I am trying to say is," Seradole continued. "You might have enemies you never even fathomed of."

"But mother. I never as much as mentioned the throne or competing--"

"That is besides the point princess," began Shane. "There is someone out there to get you. Do you suspect anyone?"

"No sir Shane. Everyone seems to be happy with me and it's the same for me."

"Yet there is a person who finds you unpleasant." Shane muttered. Simore nodded. He glanced at Sigel to share his consent when he noticed the same grin he had seen on her when Sterlla was bedridden. His eyes sparked with disgust towards Sigel at the moment as he immediately realised what she was upto.

Decoding her intentions then and there after such small evidences came as easy as the moving air to Simore. Sigel's jealousy was now transparent to him. He glared at her from the corner of his eyes but didn't make it too apparent.