Chapter 3 | The Breach

—

"We shouldn't be sitting together," Annie says the second I put my tray down. I don't bother listening to her indirect order to tell me to sit elsewhere. Instead, I sat before her, "Those two are stuck together, why can't we be acquainted?" Bertholdt and Riener have been sticking with each other as they always do. I'd call them boyfriends if it wasn't so obvious Bertholdt has something for Annie.

"Because we're not idiots," she says sternly, looking at me with her hard eyes as usual.

"I'll be an idiot today then," I tilt my head in a teasing manner, "It's not like anyone's paying attention to us either way. Some boy from Shiganshina has a whole crowd around him. Names Eren. Everyone wants to know about when he saw the Colossal." Her eyes go behind me to take in the crowd. It doesn't seem to grab her attention for too long though. I make sure to keep an ear on what everyone's saying though.

"Shiganshina? Isn't that where you stayed?" Annie asks, "You don't know him?"

I shrug my shoulders, "Nothing comes to mind really. Though— his name's familiar." Eren Jaeger. The likelihood of him having any relation to Zeke is very slim, but not something that should be out of the question yet.

Annie didn't push any further, instead changing the topic.

"The military police stick in the interior walls. That's the closest we can get to the king, that's what we need to work towards," she explains a plan, "Only the training corps that make it to the top of the class can enlist, so keep that in mind. It shouldn't be too hard."

"Top of the class," I repeat, "got it."

One of our first tests consisted of an amplitude test. It went fairly simple for the Warriors, the only one who had a bit of trouble with it was Bertholdt but he quickly learned how to hold his balance. He probably had trouble because of his tall figure.

A handful of people didn't get it, like that boy, Eren, from Shiganshina who was rambling about killing every Titan. It's a bit embarrassing honestly.

Annie was a bit more stern on the idea of separating so I listened to her this time. Luckily, for the following meal someone had taken an interest in me– or rather my food, "If you don't finish, can I have the rest?"

I raise my eyebrows and continue to chew the food still in my mouth. Her eyes stay on me with every chew, I assume she's waiting for my answer but her hungry stare is making me uncomfortable. This shouldn't surprise me, she was the potato girl who had to run till she dropped on our first day.

I swallow my food and look down at my tray, grabbing my bread and handing it to her. Her face automatically turns into a smile and she grabs the bread from my hand not taking another second to bite into it. My mouth opens slightly stunned at how she is consuming this bread so fast, "Bread tastes so much better when it's someone else's."