Chapter 5 | Three Steps Back

—

One step forward, two steps back. That's what it feels like hearing Commander Pixis' plan to use Eren's Titan to cover up the hole Bertholdt had created. We're left at an uncertain spot with a newfound Titan shifter. On another note, the new knowledge of another Titan shifter can be brought back to Marley, hell– if we bring him back ourselves it would be even better for us.

These dumb Titans below me never seem to get tired of reaching something untouchable. The way their arms reach over each other makes them look even more unknowing.

A ray of strong red smoke shoots up into the air from the distance, "They failed." I push on my gear to get back up on the wall quickly. I landed right next to Marco and Jean who had just landed a second before me.

"Woah! Armin, where are you going?" Armin grabs an air tank before running off. I assume he's heading straight towards Eren and Mikasa to see what's gone wrong. The way they follow each other everywhere like they were born joint at the hip. I almost envy their friendship. The way they grew up together and stuck with each other through everything they've experienced. Thinking about them makes me wonder about the life that could've existed if I had stayed in Paradis.

Although, in either world, a regular life seems inevitable.

"What the hell is up with the red smoke? What happened to him?" Jean says referring to Eren.

"I don't know but Armin's gone to see. But I– I think it'll be alright," Marco pitches in.

"Yeah?"

"Of course! I mean...this is Eren we're talking about," he says in confidence.

"Yeah. Knowing Eren, he won't give up so easily," I offer some words of comfort to Jean. I am pretty confident that Eren will figure out how to use his Titan sooner or later. That does leave me worried about what kind of situation that will put me in when we have to bring down more walls.

"I don't want to be that guy but this whole thing feels kind of pointless," Connie says.

"Hell, when's the last time a fight against the Titans didn't feel like that huh? The best thing now? Do what we can from losing anymore." Marco and I seem to be the only ones hopeful about this situation.

"I don't like the idea of so many of us being dead for nothing," His head was now turned away from us.

"This was the right call if we want to have any chance at winning this war. This was our only call, Connie," I tried to convince him this was a good idea.

"Was it the right call, though?"

"Yes, of course it was," Jean backs me up.

"Live to fight another day, is that it?" Connie pauses for a moment like he's thinking, "Right. I'm in."

"Here's the plan, we don't let a single one of these ugly S.O.B's wander outta this corner. Focus on luring them here and keeping them here, understood? Do not, I repeat do not engage them in combat unless you absolutely have to. I want you on the ground, three cadets per team. When you reach the wall, jump. That clear? Die, and you'll piss me off. If a Titan goes astray, we'll put him down."