chapter 9 | let's go home

–

A few hours before

"Hmm," Section Commander Hange is conflicted with the papers before them. The words don't necessarily confirm any of the suspicions they had. After the 'capture' of the Female Titan, Hange requested documentation of any other cadets in the 104th Training Corps that could possibly have connections with Annie Leonhart. Three came back to them.

"Section Commander? Something wrong?" Eren asks.

"Uh– Huh?" Hange didn't notice the vocalization of their thoughts, "Oh, uh well I was finally able to get my hands on the background report I requested for Annie Leonhart." Their eyes finally lifted from the documents. The Scouts who assisted with Annie's capture were now resting and evaluating the situation.

"Annie?"

"Yeah. Took longer than I was hoping for. The paper trail is a bit of a catastrophe at the moment. Bureaucracy, huh?" The interest of the three friends was peaked, "Anyway, according to this, there were three other cadets in the 104th who hailed from the same region. I have their names."

Hange glances back down for a moment, "One Reiner Braun, Bertholdt Hoover, and Juliet Diekman."

Sasha, who had delivered a message from Commander Erwin a few moments ago, gasps. The mouths of Eren, Mikasa, and Armin all dropped. Armin is a little more contradicted hearing Juliet's name.

"Not much survives in the way of records, and thanks to the chaos five years ago, what we have on them is mostly unreliable. However, we do know that during the long-range scouting formation, two of their units were given false intel. They were among those intentionally misled into thinking Eren was in the right wing," Hange lays out their thinking process.

"Wait just a minute, that's the section Annie attacked," Armin says, sweat falling from his face.

"What? What does that mean?" Sasha asks confused about the connection with the information given.

"Well, it's entirely possible they told Annie where they thought Eren was," he replies.

"Huh? Why would they do that?" Sasha asks again.

"Where are you going with this, Armin?" Eren asks, suddenly angry at these loose accusations, "You can't just accuse–"

"I totally agree," Hange interrupts, "Coincidence doesn't establish relationship. Bearing that in mind, I'm curious to know how the four of them interacted while training. What can you tell me?"

"I knew Bertholdt and Reiner were from the same region as Annie and Juliet, but I never saw them act friendly with the latter," Armin adds.

"Same with me," Eren says, "You'd never catch 'em shooting the breeze. And when they did talk with each other it was pretty curt. Plus, it's not like Annie was very social to begin with. Juliet on the other hand, went wherever the wind would take her but she never seemed to like Reiner all that much."