chapter 7 | one discovered

—

Trees reach as far as the sky in the forest, with their towering forms creating a completely new atmosphere. The lush green ceiling above casts a spotted shade on the forest floor, where sunlight filters through the densely packed greenery, creating a sense of light in a place filled with shadows. The branches stretch and intertwine exclusively above the reach of the tallest Titan. All Scouts, outside the center ranks, were ordered to find an arm off the trees and stand by. No explanation and no questions are allowed to be asked.

"Do you believe this B.S.?" Jean is the first to say anything in a while, all soldiers were confused but none of them wanted to argue with direct orders, "Am I the only one who wonders what happened with the whole 'logistics base' thing? Or why we didn't go galloping home after the Female Titan showed up? Why're we suddenly all playing birdhouse? Oh, wait, no. I know the last one. No, Titans allowed in the center rank's nature retreat."

Jean, as always, chooses to speak out his opinions. Even if no one offers to directly listen, they have to involuntarily.

Juliet was found perched on a thick branch, and Bertholdt stood on a tree somewhat far, but still close enough to be visible to her. Despite knowing he'd survive any dangerous situations within the operation, she was pleased to see him doing okay. That and she was sick of dealing with Reiner and his captious commentaries by herself.

"Fool. He's got no idea what's going on," Jean mutters.

"He'll hear you," Armin whispers to him.

The two converse lowly within themselves, hardly audible to Juliet, who stands on the tree right behind them. She'd gotten so inattentive to the point where her foot repetitively found itself coming in contact with the tree's oversized trunk, "Five-meter Tian approaching!" The squad captain alerts.

The Titan stomps at a quick pace, arms wailing uncontrollably as it nears the woods. With the number of people, all huddled up together outside the forest, the Titans' curiosity peaked. Assumably in search of a fun feast.

Armin's head isn't concentrated on the Titan sprinting toward them. His mind buzzed with a multitude of thoughts, the rhythmic clatter of the Titan's footsteps seemed to sync with the pulse of his contemplation, does Commander Erwin know the Female Titan is after Eren?

"Armin," He gasps, coming out of his meditation, "Bear with me. Our orders are to keep Titans out, right? Right?"

A myriad of Titans accumulated together on the ground below. A few extensive hands reach as far as they can, attempting to capture the humans beyond them.

Juliet lets out a nervous huff, sweat falling down her forehead. I guess the possibility of being eaten increases the more Titans form around us. I get eaten right now and we're screwed. A skittish smile starts forming on her face. The oversized eyes of a seven-meter titan lock onto Juliet, overseeing her every move and waiting for an opportunity.