chapter 12 | war chief

___

___

PERCHED ATOP THE weathered stone wall, Bertholdt and Juliet shared a moment of quiet camaraderie amidst the ruined city below. The city that they worked to destroy together. With legs dangling over the edge and the warm glow of sunset painting the sky, they watched as the world remained still. Time seemed suspended in the haze, as the two leaned into the comforting solidity of each other's presence.

The longer she knows Bertholdt, the more she finds his companionship comforting. Similarly, Bertholdt felt the same. There was a certain ease when he was with her. One that he couldn't get from Reiner, because of his unpredictability, or Annie, because of her lack of communication. And the fact that he goes red anytime he tries to talk to her.

Reiner had taken Ymir to one of the few upheld houses once she asked the group for one final request. To write a love letter to Historia that they'd have to hand off to her. It was a tragic request but one that they felt that they needed to complete. Reiner went to watch over her and to make sure she didn't write any type of hidden message in the letter.

"You've never told us about living in Shiganshina. What was it like?" Bertholdt turns to let her know he's paying attention. Juliet's eyes never leave the destroyed city below them.

She could see the place she once called home from where she was. It was surrounded by pieces of the wall and debris. Most of her memories of this place were long gone, the only ones she could grasp were the ones with Armin in them.

Remembering those times when he'd read to her near the river. Armin would go through books like he was starving and reading was the only way he'd get full. Juliet didn't know how to read too well back then— thankfully Marley later educated her— but nonetheless, she listened and watched him with her golden brown eyes like he was the only thing in the world.

She sighs, feeling a pain in her chest at those memories. Cracked windows stared back with vacant eyes, whispering tales of faded dreams. Each weathered board and crumbling brick seemed to resonate with the echoes of Juliet's past life, now lost to the relentless march of decay. A sense of sorrow washed over her, mourning not only the physical deterioration but also the intangible essence of what once made this place home– rather who made this place feel like home.

"Hm. I don't remember too much." She brings her knees up to her chest and holds them for a sense of comfort. She chooses to reserve her sentiments.

Bertholdt decides to change the topic, noticing that his previous question isn't going to lead them anywhere, "I've been meaning to tell you, you did good out there. I don't think Reiner would've been able to fight off those Titans alone. It was smart of you to step in."

"Thanks but I'll do better this time around," Juliet remembers the moment she let sympathy blind her.

"So will I. Let's head home this time. With Annie and Eren," Bertholdt says confidently.