chapter 11 | make a run for it

—

As the urgency of their situation intensified, the group hurriedly gathered their belongings amidst the forest's rustling leaves and filtered sunlight. Time seemed to compress as they scrambled to leave in a hurry, their movements fueled by a sense of impending danger gaining on them quickly.

With adrenaline coursing through their veins, the three navigated the dense foliage with determination, casting anxious glances over their shoulders as if expecting the Scouts to be closer.

"For now, we find a place without Titans," Reiner yells loud enough for the three behind him to hear, "As far away as possible. Juliet and I haven't recovered enough to outrun these guys. They surrounded us, there's jackshit our Titan forms can do right now."

Ymir yells from Bertholdt's back, "Then why the hell didn't we just wait for the sun to go down?" She turns around and looks behind Juliet to see the green smoke soaring in the air, "Smoke signals? Did the Scouts come to save us?"

"Dammit. That formation wouldn't work unless they hoisted a bunch of horses over the wall," Reiner points out, "Who gave that order? I honestly thought we had more time than this. It's gotta be Commander Erwin. Hard as nails, that one."

The sound of distant gunshots halts Reiner, "Damn. They're already that close? It's Eren's fault for losing his cool."

Ymir can't help looking for that one blonde girl, "Reiner! We have to go back! Now!" Juliet looks back to see what she is looking at, though she can't see anything but green figures on horses, "Krista's with them!"

"What?"

"This is our best chance!" Ymir yells at him.

"You're full of it! No way you can see that far!" Reiner yells back.

"Look, I just know! Think about it, okay?" Ymir tries her hardest to convince him, "She's a big softie, right? Stupid girl's come to rescue me! She had to!"

"Yeah, well so what?" Reiner responds, his head turned back forward, "I'm sorry! It'll have to wait!"

"What?"

"We can't grab her the way things are now! There's no way to bust that formation!" Reiner yells, "Another time!"

"How long do you want me to wait?" Ymir asks, "Maybe I should just hold off on that until I've been gobbled up by one of your Warrior pals? Oh no! I don't think so!" She was now mad and determined to take Krista.

"Don't be that way! Nobody's trying to trick you, I swear it!"

"Prove it, then!" Ymir yells, "There's no time like the present, asshole! Damn you! Get down there and bring her with us! I need to see her!" As she watched from a distance, Juliet couldn't help but feel a pang of sympathy tug at her heartstrings as she observed the girl fighting and begging for Krista. Though, she knew going back for the blonde wasn't a good idea at all.