chapter 10 | on the run

—

Perched atop the highest branches of the towering tree, Juliet felt a rush of exhilaration course through her veins as she gazed out over the sprawling landscape below. When she can't see the walls, the world seems to stretch infinitely before her. The gentle rustle of leaves in the wind provided a soothing soundtrack as she savored the sensation of the calm after the storm.

The calm didn't last too long though. The Armored stands below with its mouth perched open showcasing a limbless knocked-out Eren. Bertholdt grabs his body and places him on the branch in front of Juliet.

Reiner peaks out of the nape of his Titan, his arm reaching out in search of some help. Juliet takes it, "Thanks." The second he fully releases his body from the muscles attaching him to the Armored, in a swift, she propels him directly into the tree trunk. Reiner's back clashes with a groan.

"The hell's wrong with you!" Juliet stood tall in front of him, "All day you've been going on about being a soldier, then you pull this? Reiner. What's going on!?" She'd kneeled to his level, her hands gripping on the collar of his shirt.

Reiner, knowing he's the stronger one, takes both of his hands and pushes her chest harshly. Her body crashes back into Bertholdt, who had only recently come to rejoin the two. Reiner instantly regrets pushing Juliet once he sees her gritted teeth and her teary eyes. The frustration was getting the best of her, "I should've told you, I'm sorry."

Reiner lifts himself, "But look. We've caught Jaws and the missing Attack Titan and now we're heading back with something Marely could be proud of." He placed his hand on her shoulder and looked down at her.

"What a cute little family," Ymir has finally woken up, "Finally seen with the third" Reiner drops his hand, turning himself to look at Ymir.

"You're awake."

"Where the hell are we?" she takes a second to look at the scenery. Her leg was now letting out steam, trying to heal itself.

"The forest," Juliet answers with her back against Ymir.

"Wow. Thank you! I didn't figure that out on my own!" Ymir snaps back. Juliet whips her head around with furrowed eyebrows, "You're the one who asked."

"I thought I'd get a little more than that," Ymir sighs.

"We'll tell you more once Eren wakes up," Reiner tells her.

The trio found themselves enveloped in a shared silence, not giving Ymir any more information. The air hung heavy with anticipation, the absence of conversation amplifying the subtle sounds of their surroundings—the soft rustle of leaves and a bird soaring past. Despite the absence of words, there was a palpable sense of camaraderie in their shared presence, it may have been forceful but there was a silent understanding that bound them together in solidarity.

With each passing moment, the tension lowered and washed, a silent dance of anticipation and patience as they braced themselves for what lay ahead.

Ymir's gaze wandered, drinking in the sights and sounds of her surroundings with a sense of wonder. She'd been connecting the dots of her (Marcel's) memories and the trios' actions. She couldn't recall many of the past holders' memories, mainly because he didn't live very long, but she does remember seeing Reiner, Bertholdt, and Juliet in the same vicinity.