Chapter 4 | Abnormal

–

Mikasa takes the lead, leaving the rest of us struggling to catch up to her. She's using too much gas, she's going to run out. At the pace we're going, the air blows my hair back swiftly moving the pieces of hair that usually frame my face away. Similarly so, the ends of my jacket are pulled backwards my the wind.

Soon enough, Mikasa's ODM gear gave out, leaving her to fall onto a near by roof with a loud strike. Armin diverges off to follow her without hesitation.

"Jean! You lead the rest to HQ! I'm going after Armin!" Connie follows suit.

We only made it so far without Mikasa, finding ourselves blocked by too many Titans. All of us stood at a halt trying to feel out the situation. I stood near my squad waiting for Jean to give us directions. It seems like he's been stumped.

Tom, one of the cadets left with us, was on the ground being surrounded by Titans. He tries to get his gear to move him but it seems like he's out of gas. I can't seem to tear my eyes away from the scene playing out in front of me.

"Stay back!"

"Tom! I'll save you!" Two cadets go down in an attempt to save him but there are too many of them. Each of them gets grabbed by a Titan who is more than ready to chomp down on them. I feel my eyes widen watching them all die one by one. I can feel their screams go through my entire body. I can feel something crawl up my throat but I push it back down with a hard swallow.

I couldn't do anything. I didn't have to do anything. That wasn't my fault–

Seeing cadets from the training corps I was in makes it so much worse, "Let's go!"

"Make a break for HQ while they're distracted!" Jean's loud directions make me finally take my eyes off the Titans. He moves faster than I can comprehend. Me, Annie, Bertholdt, and Reiner, all look at each other for a moment before Reiner takes the lead in following Jean. The rest of us follow behind, "Give it everything you've got."

That quickly, we move from roof to roof making our way to HQ leaving the Titans to finish their meal. It felt like it only took us a few seconds to finally reach HQ. I latch my gear onto the walls on the side of the building, push my legs in front of me, and push myself into the window, breaking the glass on my way in.

I try to catch my breath while I shake off any glass that pieces of glass that landed in my hair.

"Hold on a sec, you guys with the supply team?" Jean looks under the tables where a few people are seen holding on to their legs and shaking in fear.

"Yeah."

Jean didn't hesitate to take one of them by their shirts and punch them straight in the face, "You cowards! You left us out there on our own! People are dead 'cause you didn't have the guts to do your job!" I look behind me, through the window to see how many Titans are waiting for us. Instead, I see a Titan preparing to hit the building, "Shit!"