3: Speedway

"Optimus! Decepticons are on my tail!" I called over the comlink as both Blitzwing and Lugnut chased after me. "I'm trying to lead them away!"

"Y/D, get your tailpipe out of there! Now!" Ratchet barked over the comlink. "We're closing in on your position, Prime and the others will handle the Decepticons!"

"But -"

"NO BUTS YOUNG BOT!" There was an uncharacteristic panic to his tone, a tone Ratchet only used when he genuinely thought I was in danger.

And I would be a fool to ignore his words.

I skidded into a drift, locking on the Autobots signal and making a beeline for them. I spotted the group and shifted forms, back flipping with blades ejecting out from between my knuckle joints like the human superhero Wolverine.

"ZERE! MORE AUTOBOTS!" Blitzwing yelled as both Decepticons shifted forms.

"Ratchet, Sari, Y/D! Fall back to the ship!" Optimus ordered.

"Yes, sir." I said.

"THE TRIPLE CHANGER STAYS!" Lugnut barked as he fired his missiles. I shoved Ratchet and Sari out of harms way and barely managed to dodge the missiles. The missiles impacted the ground and exploded in a ball of fire, cutting me off from the others by a billow of dense smoke.

"GO GO GO!" I yelled through the smoke.

"KID!" Ratchet called.

"DONT WORRY ABOUT ME! GET SARI TO SAFETY AND GET THE ALLSPARK OUT OF HERE!" I was tackled by Lugnut and pinned to the ground, my blades slashing at his side and leaving trails of energon in its wake. Lugnut let out a bellow and backed off, Prowl and Bulkhead jumping into the fight along with Bumblebee and Optimus.

As I was about to go help them, Blitzwing cut me off, his arms and wings spreading to shield me from the fight.

"Go." He said.

"What?" I questioned.

"Go with your medic. Before zat oaf notices." I hesitated a moment but nodded and took off after Ratchet and into the water. I quickly found the ship along with the medic and human.

"Y/D? How'd you escape?" Sari asked as I entered the ship and shook off the water.

"It's... complicated." I said. "Have you been able to get the ship online?"

"Not yet because SOMEONE," Ratchet said while shooting Sari a scolding glare. "Doesn't want us to leave and won't listen."

"Sari," I said ever so gently as I knelt down next to her. "Why don't you want us to leave?"

"Because you're my friends... and I don't want to be alone!" She sobbed.

"Sari, I don't think any of us want to leave." I said as I picked her up and gently held her against my chassis. "Primus knows i certainly don't. But if we stay, the Decepticons will destroy this planet and everything on it. Including you."

"But... they can't be that bad?" She sniffled.

"Some might not be." I said as I thought about Blitzwing. "But just like humans, you don't know how dangerous someone can be until they show you their true colors. Ratchet and I have both experienced firsthand the horrors of Megatron and his loyalists. They will stop at nothing to get the Allspark." I gently released Sari from the sort of hug and wiped a tear delicately from her face. "We don't want you or this planet to face the same horrors our world has. Do you understand?"

"I... it's not fair." She sniffled.

"I know, Sari. But when it comes to war well, nothing is fair." My expression softened, and a small smile crept on my dermas. "But you can help make it a fair fight." I hooked my digit under her key and lightly lifted it off of her chest. "The Allspark has given you this gift for a reason, one beyond our understanding. It depends on your just as much as it depends on us. It isn't just the lives that currently exist that are at stake but also those yet to come."

Sari paused a long while as she pondered my words before a smile crept on her face.

"How can I help?"

----

"Ratchet, do you think we can get the weapons system online?" I asked the medic as he rummaged around the command bridge.

"With Sari's key, we can give the ship enough juice to launch something." Ratchet said.

"Then you two should get ready, I'll see if I can -" I suddenly froze up, and my optics went white in color, my expression frozen and distant.

"Y/D?" Sari said as she climbed up a nearby stack of crates and waved her hand in front of my face. "Y/D? Yoohoo?"

No response.

"Ratchet, something is wrong with Y/D!" Sari called to the medic. Ratchet turned around and saw my frozen state, his spark dropping to his tanks at the sight.

"Oh scrap, not now!" Ratchet exclaimed.

"What's happening to him?" Sari asked.

"I don't know, it's happened before."

"What do we do?"

"We can worry about Y/D later. Right now, the others need our help."

While the pair were scrambling about trying to get the weapons system back online, I found myself trapped in my own mind, remembering things that never happened.

Or at least I thought so.

"The Enigma is ready to be transported." I heard a voice say.

"And how many were forged?" Another I recognized as Starscream's said

"Only this one. The Autobots attacked the lab before another could be produced."

"Does it have a spark?"

"It does, and it should be entirely loyal to Megatron as he sees fit."

"Excellent." I then heard a set of pedes walk away, and something touched my face, although I couldn't see anything. "I think I'll make some... alterations to you, hm? Make you serve your true Master."

The white light faded from my optics, and I collapsed onto the ground with a crash at the exact same time Sari inserted her key to power the weapons system.

I heard the firing of the weapons followed by a watery explosion. Then I remembered nothing more.

----

"Kid? Kid!" Ratchet called through the black. "Cmon, I know you hear me!"

"Nnng, why are you shouting?" I grumbled as I opened my optics and found I was back in the Autobot base. I groaned and gripped my helm as a throbbing pain ran through it, my optics sceunching tight and my jaws locking up.

"What happened?" I asked.

"We were getting the weapons charged to help Optimus and the others fight off the Decepticons," Sari said. "And you just... stopped working."

"Yeah, that happens sometimes." I chuckled. "Are the others okay?"

"Yeah, we're fine." Optimus said, pulling my attention to him. "But maybe it's time you took that break Ratchet suggested you'd take."

"I'm fine, Optimus." I said sternly. "Freeze ups happen sometimes. But thanks for your concern." I rose from the medical berth and headed to my quarters where I laid down and stared up at the ceiling with a blank expression.

I thought about the other times I had a freeze up and realized that out of all of them, this was the only time I had something other than a forced shutdown happen.

"What in Primus is happening to me?"